Duel-Cast not working for some reason? :(

Inflicted

Currently inactive
Reaction score
i have a problem with my multi-cast ability, it does not seem to work. i set it so that it creates floating text at the position of the casting unit when it hits the chance etc after a 1.5sec delay, and that works fine. but the ability does not seem to "re-cast".

i appologize i cannot do this in Tags because im not at the computer now, but il show what my trigger does in steps.

When cast
Sets a RandomNumber variable
Checks if it is below a certain number
If it is then it waits 1.5 seconds
Creates the Floating Text
Creates a Dummy Unit that is untargetable, has no model file, almost infinite supply of mana - created at position of target of ability being cast
Adds Ability
Add Timer (duration/life time of unit - set to about 3 seconds)
Orders last created unit to cast "Frost Nova"(added ability/is the default one) on Target of Ability being cast

The casting does not work, any possible suggestions as to what i could have done wrong?

i shall post the actual trigger later.

Moridin

Snow Leopard
Reaction score
Well, while the steps don't seem to have any flaws, we really do need to see the actual trigger(s).

One thing you could do yourself is put "Game - Display ___" text messages throughout your trigger. This will allow you to find out exactly where the trigger runs upto, or where it seemingly errors.

Inflicted

Currently inactive
Reaction score
yep i did that, and it ran all parts of the trigger, seemingly without problem.

perhaps the fact that it has a [Wait] command in it is effecting it some way or another, but um maybe its casting the ability instantly so i dont see the actual "second blast".

im not to sure what the problem is, but i will post the trigger later.

---

EDIT: could there possibly some sort of leak where its spawning it somewhere else and out of the cast range, and therefore unable to cast? (hmm il make it so that it pings at the position to check)

any other posible reasons why it wouldn't work?

there are no variables, other than the [Integer] variable that I have used to obtain the random number, but that shouldnt leak or having been set by another trigger still wouldnt effect this trigger.

so i dont know.

Moridin

Snow Leopard
Reaction score
Well, waits in a trigger do have a lot of potential to mess things up, but I'll wait on seeing the actual triggers to judge that.

If it seemingly runs the triggers without any problems, then one (or more) of your actions isn't running as you want it to run.

Post the triggers. We need those first.

Inflicted

Currently inactive
Reaction score
okay well here's the Trigger:

Trigger:
  • Events
    • Unit - A unit Begins casting an ability
    • Conditions
    • (Ability being cast) Equal to Frost Nova
    • (Level of Duel-Frost for (Casting unit)) Not equal to 0
    • Actions
    • Set RandomNumber = (Random integer number between 1 and 100)
    • -------- Level 1 -------- [Comment]
    • If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
      • If - Conditions
        • (Level of Duel-Frost for (Casting unit)) Equal to 1
      • Then - Actions
        • If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
          • If - Conditions
            • RandomNumber Less than or equal to 15
          • Then - Actions
            • Wait 1.50 seconds
            • Unit - Create 1 DUMMY UNIT for (Owner of (Casting unit)) at (Position of (Target unit of ability being cast)) facing Default building facing degrees
            • Unit - Add Frost Nova to (Last created unit)
            • Unit - Order (Last created unit) to Undead Lich - Frost Nova (Target unit of ability being cast)
            • Floating Text - Create floating text that reads Duel-Frost at (Position of (Casting unit)) with Z offset 20.00, using font size 12.00, color (40.00%, 40.00%, 100.00%), and 0.00% transparency
            • Floating Text - Hide (Last created floating text) for (All players)
            • Floating Text - Show (Last created floating text) for (Player group((Owner of (Casting unit))))
            • Floating Text - Set the velocity of (Last created floating text) to 32.00 towards 90.00 degrees
            • Floating Text - Change (Last created floating text): Disable permanence
            • Floating Text - Change the fading age of (Last created floating text) to 1.50 seconds
            • Floating Text - Change the lifespan of (Last created floating text) to 2.00 seconds
          • Else - Actions
      • Else - Actions

and other levels are below, but they are done the same way.

Duel-Frost is the Ability Name [the passive]
Duel-Frost is the Casted Ability[activatable/casted on event/also added to dummy]
Note that it is the default ability
The chance has to be below 15%
"DUMMY UNIT" is the dummy unit

any ideas as to why it wouldnt work?

N(O.O)B

Reaction score
1. It's spelled "Dual", not "Duel"
2. Your trigger leaks immensely, but I doubt you care
3. Using "Target Unit of Ability Being Cast" can bug after a wait, try saving it into a (local) variable at the beginning of the spell and using that instead.

Inflicted

Currently inactive
Reaction score
1. It's spelled "Dual", not "Duel"
2. Your trigger leaks immensely, but I doubt you care
3. Using "Target Unit of Ability Being Cast" can bug after a wait, try saving it into a (local) variable at the beginning of the spell and using that instead.

lol yeah i can fix the leaks etc, im just too lazy atm. n ye i dont reli care.
ok, il set the target, thx.
and note that its my spell, so i can name it what i want, regardless if its wrong :/

sentrywiz

Reaction score
Change the event to start of an effect of an ability.
Begins casting an ability for my experience, doesn't work in some cases.
I think Frost Nova ends before this trigger even has a chance to be activated.

And why do you need a Z offset for the floating text?

Inflicted

Currently inactive
Reaction score
okay thanx, i wil try that later.

and yeah your right i dont need the offset. just had floating text at the units position, dont want the 2 to overlap if you know what i mean.

yet the floating text is not the problem. il test the diferent event later, thanx

0WN3D

Reaction score
After seeing ur triggers... Everything is right.... But i have a doubt... are u testing the skill with 1/100chance.... cause that is near impossible to gt.

Inflicted

Currently inactive
Reaction score
After seeing ur triggers... Everything is right.... But i have a doubt... are u testing the skill with 1/100chance.... cause that is near impossible to gt.

nope:
Trigger:
  • RandomNumber Less than or equal to 15

is 15% chance.

and i set it to 100% when im testing it.

and yes it works now. the event was wrong, thanx alot sentrywiz +rep

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.