DVD-N501 problem reading DVD-Rs

L

landsmarra

Hello to all!

I've owned the above for the last three years (picked up second-hand on eBay). Now it seems to have a problem reading burned DVDs. Sometimes I have to try loading them 3-4 times before the device recognizes and loads them. Unit does not seem to have a problem reading commercial games/DVDs.

Could this be a laser calibration issue? Does anyone still repair these units after all this time? Or am I better off looking for another on eBay (that may very well have the same problem, lol)? I hardly use the unit!!

Thanks to all!

Skah T

Former VML engineer
Reaction score
Are you having trouble with homebrew games or something else? For homebrew there is a known issue and adding a padding file to the beginning of the disc usually does the trick.

If the problem is with burned audio CDs or something else then it likely is the laser.

L

landsmarra

Thanks so much for the info!

As to the link you sent, swapping the drive would be great but DVD-M104/105s appear to be a scarce as N501s :) And I am not sure as to which other players use the same mechanism.

I remember on the PS2, people could adjust the laser mechanism focus to compensate for its age. Anyone know if that's possible on the N501's mechanism?

In the short run, I'll try different media! And yes, it's homebrews I'm having trouble with...commercial games appear to load fine.

Steve

T

T T

Given that your commercial games are working, it sounds to me like its the media rather than the drive itself. Which is good news.

L

landsmarra

Well, just got the Nuon Games & Demos CD from this site! Unfortunately, my N501 won't read it. I'm sure it was put on reasonably good media.

Any suggestions as to what I do now with this? Do I just look for another N501? I'm not sure replacing the drive is an option as I don't know which players share the same drive.

Thanks for any additional help! I really wanna try this CD!

Steve

M

MMDN

I know that problem with N501, you must burn your DVD-R at 2x max.

I tried a lot of DVD-R, and the only media that works flawless is SONY Accucore

L

landsmarra

OK, just received an M101, swapped the drive (which was a piece of cake) and it was no help. Still didn't read the CDRs. I even tried burning my Sony Supremas CDs at 1X speed! So I swapped back in the original drive but I noticed something...two little adjustment screws under the laser mechanism labelled "CD" and "DVD". I started fiddling with the one labelled CD but had little success.

I may have to try to find another N501, ugh.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.