Elevator Problems

HG-Bonfire

Reaction score
Ok, so the idea for the map is that there is a 6 by 6 grid of elevators, all set to 3, floating above a pool of water. When the game starts, 9 peasents are spawned randomly on the grid, one for each player, and then 3 random platforms drop into the water every 2.5 seconds. When a platform drops with a unit on it, the unit dies.

The problem is that the trigger has no control. About 1/2 of the time it actually works and the platform drops, the unit dies, and the elevator walls close. The other half, only 1 or 2 of those things happen, so platforms sometimes drop and the unit is still alive, sometimes units die for no reason at all, and sometimes the walls of the elevator close and trap people.

Heres the trigger,

Code:
Platform Drops 2
    Events
    Conditions
        Game Equal to 1
    Actions
        Wait 2.50 seconds
        Set Elevator1 = (Random destructible in Platform Droppers <gen>)
        Set Elevator2 = (Random destructible in Platform Droppers <gen>)
        Set Elevator3 = (Random destructible in Platform Droppers <gen>)
        Region - Center Platform Killer 1 <gen> on (Position of Elevator1)
        Region - Center Plaform Killer 2 <gen> on (Position of Elevator2)
        Region - Center Platform Killer 3 <gen> on (Position of Elevator3)
        Destructible - Close All walls of Elevator1
        Destructible - Close All walls of Elevator2
        Destructible - Close All walls of Elevator3
        Destructible - Set height of Elevator1 to 1
        Destructible - Set height of Elevator2 to 1
        Destructible - Set height of Elevator3 to 1
        Wait 1.00 seconds
        Unit Group - Pick every unit in (Units in Platform Killer 1 <gen>) and do (Unit - Kill (Picked unit))
        Unit Group - Pick every unit in (Units in Plaform Killer 2 <gen>) and do (Unit - Kill (Picked unit))
        Unit Group - Pick every unit in (Units in Platform Killer 3 <gen>) and do (Unit - Kill (Picked unit))
        Trigger - Run (This trigger) (checking conditions)

Any idea why it would be doing this?

B

Blackzabbith

HG-Bonfire said:
Ok, so the idea for the map is that there is a 6 by 6 grid of elevators, all set to 3, floating above a pool of water. When the game starts, 9 peasents are spawned randomly on the grid, one for each player, and then 3 random platforms drop into the water every 2.5 seconds. When a platform drops with a unit on it, the unit dies.

The problem is that the trigger has no control. About 1/2 of the time it actually works and the platform drops, the unit dies, and the elevator walls close. The other half, only 1 or 2 of those things happen, so platforms sometimes drop and the unit is still alive, sometimes units die for no reason at all, and sometimes the walls of the elevator close and trap people.

Heres the trigger,

Code:
Platform Drops 2
    Events
    Conditions
        Game Equal to 1
    Actions
        Wait 2.50 seconds
        Wait 1.00 seconds
        Unit Group - Pick every unit in (Units in Platform Killer 1 <gen>) and do (Unit - Kill (Picked unit))
        Unit Group - Pick every unit in (Units in Plaform Killer 2 <gen>) and do (Unit - Kill (Picked unit))
        Unit Group - Pick every unit in (Units in Platform Killer 3 <gen>) and do (Unit - Kill (Picked unit))
        Trigger - Run (This trigger) (checking conditions)

Any idea why it would be doing this?
i think its cause of your last trigger and your condition

maybe you should try something like this->
Code:
Untitled Trigger 002
    Events
        Time - Every 2.00 seconds of game time
    Conditions
        (your region contains your peasents 0064 <gen>) Equal to True

For this to work you need to create a region covering the whole area of your elevators.

HG-Bonfire

Reaction score
well this setup is part of a bunch of mini games that are activated by a random number, so when this is activated, the number is set to 1, so the conditions are right. If i have it set to every 2 seconds, it could cause the elevators to drop right when it starts, which could unfairly kill one of the spawned peasents

B

Blackzabbith

HG-Bonfire said:
well this setup is part of a bunch of mini games that are activated by a random number, so when this is activated, the number is set to 1, so the conditions are right. If i have it set to every 2 seconds, it could cause the elevators to drop right when it starts, which could unfairly kill one of the spawned peasents

Your trigger ->Conditions
Game Equal to 1
plus ending action-activate this trigger

you have waits in your trigger

your condition is every second

i think your problem is that your telling the trigger to repeat its self before it could finish. ;) which could be causing it to work sometimes and not work sometimes if you had made a an array variable that would of made things alot easier and then use the->
Code:
If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
    If - Conditions
    Then - Actions
    Else - Actions
action. which you could make loop itself instead of using -> Conditions
Game Equal to 1
ending action-activate this trigger

does this make any sense to you?

HG-Bonfire

Reaction score
I tried setting it up like you said, but it didnt fix the problem

Code:
Platform Drops 2
    Events
        Time - Every 6.00 seconds of game time
    Conditions
    Actions
        If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
            If - Conditions
                Game Equal to 1
            Then - Actions
            Else - Actions
                Do nothing

is that what you meant?

Ambeco

Reaction score
You dont need the if statement, just move the "game equals 1" back where you had it the first time. Also, are there any other doodads in the area? double check. The trigger itself looks fine, are you sure it doesn't work still?

HG-Bonfire

Reaction score
mabye its the other trigger im using to start the game

Code:
Platform Initialization
    Events
        Map initialization
    Conditions
        Game Equal to 1
    Actions
        Camera - Apply Water Platform Start <gen> for Player 1 (Red) over 0.00 seconds
        Camera - Apply Water Platform End <gen> for Player 1 (Red) over 2.00 seconds
        Visibility - Create an initially Enabled visibility modifier for Player 1 (Red) emitting Visibility across Platform Droppers <gen>
        Wait 2.00 seconds
        Camera - Set the camera bounds for Player 1 (Red) to Platform Droppers <gen>
        Destructible - Pick every destructible in Platform Droppers <gen> and do (Destructible - Set height of (Picked destructible) to 3)
        Destructible - Pick every destructible in Platform Droppers <gen> and do (Destructible - Open All walls of (Picked destructible))
        Wait 1.00 seconds
        Player Group - Pick every player in (All players controlled by a User player) and do (Unit - Create 1 Villager (Male) for Player 1 (Red) at (Center of Platform Droppers <gen>) facing Default building facing degrees)
        Trigger - Turn off (This trigger)

basically its just camera movement and placement of the peasents

B

Blackzabbith

just a suggestion but you could post the map.... if you want to..

HG-Bonfire

Reaction score
yah i think I can do that, its not even close to done anyways (only got 2 minigames out of the desired 30)

how do I post it?

B

Blackzabbith

you need to accept your e-mail confirmation to officially become a member. then at the bottom theres an additional options screen click manage attachments ;)

HG-Bonfire

Reaction score
oh yah, i think I accidentally deleted that cuz it was in the bulk folder

any way to get another email confirmation?

HG-Bonfire

Reaction score
k here it is, i removed all of the other minigames and stuff so the platform game is the only one on the map.

AceHart

Your Friendly Neighborhood Admin
Reaction score
> anybody figure out why it's not working?

Well...

May the attached map be of some inspiration:

Attachments

• HG-Party vs.1.0.w3x
    21.6 KB · Views: 142

AceHart

Your Friendly Neighborhood Admin
Reaction score
> I like the warning system

I absolutely hated that there wasn't one... suddenly, you're dead... :p

That said, for futur reference, the action "Region - Move" has a little help text when selected... I'd suggest to read it once.

And, "random destructible" is to be taken literally. It's random.
And includes, for example, elevator walls...
It also doesn't care much about selecting the same one several times.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.