Sci/Tech Excel Is An Art Form: These Beautiful Images Are Proof

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
Tatsuo Horiuchi, a 73-year-old Japanese artist, creates amazingly vibrant landscapes using a digital tool most people try to avoid at all costs: Microsoft Excel.

m1HNolX.jpg

Shortly before his retirement roughly 13 years ago, Horiuchi bought himself a copy of Excel because he figured he could draw with it and it was far cheaper than design-oriented software from companies like Adobe.

Using autoshapes, a tool in Excel that lets users connect and color custom shapes, Horiuchi builds massively complex images that push the limits of spreadsheet software. And because Excel isn't really an image-creation program, his work is even more impressive than the creations of artists using Microsoft's Paint software to make masterful drawings, for example.

Last edited by a moderator:

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
Or, you know what, you could use paper and pencil. I know, it sounds crazy, but it actually works! Try it!

KMilz

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Or, you know what, you could use paper and pencil. I know, it sounds crazy, but it actually works! Try it!

Anyone can make art with a pencil and paper. I know that I sure as hell don't know how to make images with excel, so props to him. I didn't even know you could do that.

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
Anyone can make art with a pencil and paper. I know that I sure as hell don't know how to make images with excel, so props to him. I didn't even know you could do that.

Why would you want to?

KMilz

Reaction score
Meh. I can't possibly see the advantage to using this over a more efficient piece of software, but you know how people are. Some people like to do things just to prove they can be done.

KMilz

Reaction score
I'm not sure that's necessarily fair. I'd say that most people would like to be able to do something others can't if they had the opportunity, so I don't see why that makes them stupid.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not sure that's necessarily fair. I'd say that most people would like to be able to do something others can't if they had the opportunity, so I don't see why that makes them stupid.
[...]Some people like to do things just to prove they can be done.
If that is their only motivation, then its a stupid decision.

KMilz

Reaction score
Like a Scientist? lol

I was thinking that, but the scientists that aren't stupid are doing it for far better reasons. Remember programming with water drops? That was pretty stupid - they just did it to prove they could. No practical usage at all.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
Like a Scientist? lol
What scientist does science just to prove that science can be done? They make science to contribute to the wisdom of our society. Or to kill people; either of those two.

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
What scientist does science just to prove that science can be done? They make science to contribute to the wisdom of our society. Or to kill people; either of those two.
Hmm But they do freaky things "that are Unnecessary!"

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
Electricity, filtered water and toilet paper are also unnecessary. Would you rather do without those?
No it's not! Would you like to have your head cut of and put on a robot or something? May be Necessary?!

camelCase

The Case of the Mysterious Camel.
Reaction score
No it's not! Would you like to have your head cut of and put on a robot or something? May be Necessary?!

It is necessary! Your mom pleasured herself with your toothbrush! So, ergo, necessary!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.