Environment Face of Fear: Funnel-webs

Pineapple

Just Smile.
Reaction score
Forget sharks and crocodiles: the real menace at this time of year, at least for surburban Sydneysiders, is a backyard spider whose bite can kill you in the space of two hours.

experts have warned that the city is being invaded by funnel-webs, considered one of the world's most aggressive and poisonous spiders. A reptile park north of Sydney where people can drop off captured specimens, and where they are milked of their venom
to make antidote, has received more than 40 males in recent weeks. Males are deadlier than females.

A lengthy dry period, followed by unseasonable downpours and high humidity over the Christmas break, is blamed for the plague. "We've had a long spell of very warm weather combined with rain," said Mary Rayner, general manager of the Australian Reptile Park. "They are starting to come in thick and fast."

pg-26-spider-getty_301384t.jpg

More here.

-------------------

yeah... fuck you Australia.

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
I shuddered quite horribly at that picture. Australia is fucking dangerous... damn. I don't want to go there anymore, it's no wonder we sent prisoners there. They'd be killed within a week and if they didn't they were smart and therefore possibly beneficial to a society. Do they have antidotes for some of these things? Or is it like, if you get bit by one your fucked so make some phone calls?

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
Deadly spiders crawling around you. Scary thought, Isn't It?

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
> Do they have antidotes for some of these things? Or is it like, if you get bit by one your fucked so make some phone calls?
"He displayed the classic symptoms, including vomiting, convulsions and breathlessness, but recovered after being given the anti-venom."

Varine

Reaction score
> Do they have antidotes for some of these things? Or is it like, if you get bit by one your fucked so make some phone calls?
"He displayed the classic symptoms, including vomiting, convulsions and breathlessness, but recovered after being given the anti-venom."

What you really expect me to read all of it? I'm afraid of spiders dude, I'm lucky I even managed to not have a panic attack from that picture.

Pineapple

Just Smile.
Reaction score
Yes the anti-venom can save you, but what if you don't have one or can't get help? Your fucked. What if your on a walk with your kid when they get bit? They would scum far faster than a grown adult. Again, fucked.

Spiders are serious business.

And I bet somewhere out there someone is trying to breed huntsmen spiders and funnel webs to get a huge, aggressive, deadly spider that lives in homes.

Varine

Reaction score
Delete that right now Firecat.

I found a massive spider in my room today. It took me almost an hour to kill it because I was too afraid to touch it so I had to hit it with a broom, and then it took a while to get out too. I'm always afraid that they're poisonous and wouldn't know what to do it if I get bit. I don't think the local hospital carries antivenom for every spider there is, and what then? I'm fucked because the next hospital is in Spokane and what if they don't have it? Then somewhere in Tricities or Seattle, and by the time it gets here, fucked. And then what if it's a new kind of spider?

Renendaru

(Evol)ution is nothing without love.
Reaction score
Once saw a really big banana spider, really harmless, but they get reaaallly big sometimes.

Whitesock

Graphics Help Zone Moderator
Reaction score
You know whats really annoying? Having a spider walk across your monitor while you're playing video games.

I mean, you got to get back to the game before you get killed, but there's this spider who's like, "Yo, I'm all up in yo face," and you're like, "well I can't just smack it because it will leave spider crap all over my monitor," and so you stare at it feeling like a helpless dope while it sits there not moving (which I'm sure they stand in the middle of the monitor on purpose) and you're like "shit I died in CoD again," and then it leaves before you can kill it making you paranoid for like the next two hours and you feel all itchy and crap because you think it's crawling on you.

I believe that is an effective run-on sentence if I do say so myself. :p

Varine

Reaction score
I have never done that. For me the spider would take the highest priority in that situation and would need to be gone immediately for me to effectively continue to asses the situation at hand in regards to what is happening the the virtual environment's continuously changing situations.

T.s.e

Wish I was old and a little sentimental
Reaction score
I have never done that. For me the spider would take the highest priority in that situation and would need to be gone immediately for me to effectively continue to asses the situation at hand in regards to what is happening the the virtual environment's continuously changing situations.

Varine, I have the perfect solution:

flamethrower_straight.jpg

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.