flash help?

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
so I can't figure out why my flash is so huge - I want to put it on a website, and it's at over 2 mb for 2 small pictures.. (400 x 180), and I also need help with getting some sort of static image as a preloader - I tried messing with the ones on newground, but I failed miserably

fla swf

alternatively if I could copy what was done here (slideshow via javascript), that would also work

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score
To do the JavaScript library I would advise using a premade jQuery library. There are so many available.

As for the flash... how big are the actual files?

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
the actual photos are around 2mb each, that is why the fla is much larger, but the published swf should be only 400 x 180 pixels, thus much smaller

Jindo

Self
Reaction score
The SWF file is still loading the full images in to it and using them even if only a select part is visible due to your canvas size.

My advice would be to compress those images either with image editing software or by finding the image in Flash's Library and selecting 'Properties', there are some options there to adjust the image but they can severely lower the quality - if this doesn't bother you then I recommend it as it can very easily reduce the filesize of your final SWF file by a great deal.

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Jindo is right, Flash will import the whole image, not just how much you want it to display, therefore you still have about 4mb of photos in the .swf (however, flash does compress these a bit).

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
hmm, your right - when I play it in a large browser window, it zooms up quite nicely, guess I have to re-size them - I thought flash would delete/remove the extra stuff when I published it into a SWF (isn't that what it means to publish?) - oh well, thanks

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.