Gaming Former Blizzard president suggests you should be able to leave a $10 or $20 tip for the devs because 'Some games are that special'

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
First reported by VG247, Former Blizzard president Mike Ybarra took to Twitter a few days ago to suggest a new form of showing developer appreciation: having the option to leave a $10 or $20 tip on a game you love. You know, I guess I like the sentiment at least.

"When I beat a game, there are some that just leave me in awe of how amazing the experience was," Ybarra wrote. "At the end of the game, I've often thought 'I wish I could give these folks another $10 or $20 because it was worth more than my initial $70 and they didn't try to nickel and dime me for every second.'"

Ybarra cited games like Horizon: Zero Dawn, God of War, Red Dead Redemption 2, Elden Ring, and Baldur's Gate 3 as examples of games worth tipping. "I know $70 is already a lot," Ybarra added, "But it's just an option at the end of the game I wish I had at times. Some games are that special."

As I'm sure you can imagine, most of the commenters (as well as VG247 writer Oisin Kuhnke) weren't exactly thrilled with Ybarra's idea⁠—to be clear, neither am I. Leaving aside the fact that most of us probably already spend too much money on this hobby, there's the question of whose pockets a theoretical tip would wind up in.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.