Galaxy Script

YLM

Reaction score
Hi, as a newb I am wondering if there are any benefits to using Galaxy, and what is it current status (does it still lack pointers, what features are missing etc.). In other words is it worth dabbling with Galaxy Script as opposed to just using triggers?

YLM

Reaction score
Aw, that is too bad. I assumed people here were more into Galaxy Scripting (if it exist ).

Siretu

Starcraft 2 Editor Moderator
Reaction score
I use galaxy scripting occasionally. It all depends on what I want to do and how much I plan it in advance. Galaxy scripting has the advantage of being simpler to edit imo. It's easier to set up things and edit them later, if that makes sense.

The problem I have is that it is annoying to program in galaxy due to language limitations(no for-loop, have to pre-create the variables at top, have to use prefixes like "lv_" for variables and functions) and compared to say, programming java in eclipse, the feedback is much worse since you only get it when you save/test and the errors can be very cryptic(although it is better now that it was before)

I think it still lacks pointers, but I think it is able to pass structs and functions as parameters, something which is not possible in GUI yet afaik. Aside from structs and functions as parameters, I think GUI can do basically everything that galaxy can, so it's mostly a matter of preference.

You might have some marginal performance increase from using galaxy, but I'm not sure.

Reactions: YLM

YLM

Reaction score
Since you like likes, I have liked your reply.

The problem I have is that it is annoying to program in galaxy due to language limitations(no for-loop, have to pre-create the variables at top, have to use prefixes like "lv_" for variables and functions) and compared to say, programming java in eclipse, the feedback is much worse since you only get it when you save/test and the errors can be very cryptic(although it is better now that it was before)
Huh? Prefixes for variables and functions? Why do you need them?
I knew about pre-creating variables, but for-loop seems like quite a drag.

Also is there an up to date reference on GalaxyScript?

Siretu

Starcraft 2 Editor Moderator
Reaction score
I think the map wont compile if you don't use the prefixes. Local variables has to have the "lv_" prefix. A global function needs the "gf_" prefix, and so on.

I dont know about a galaxy reference. I usually do it in GUI and view the custom script to see how it's done in Galaxy.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.