AoS Gar

M

MagusZero

Disclaimer:
The reason for the name of the map should be evident to 4chan users on sight of the heroes involved. The screenshots may look a bit basic, but the gameplay is quite nice. I'd suggest 2v2 play at least, since 1v1 it's likely to last a few hours if you both know what you're doing. Upgrading troops is VERY important in this map.

Screenshots:
garwars1.jpg

garwars2.jpg

garwars3.jpg

The map:
Here we have a 2path AoS with heroes able to level to level 50, with custom skills all the way. You are able to upgrade the three troop types that spawn at your base to a max level of 5 with a 6th elemental level which splits into two very different units. You are also able to construct towers, and I designed all the custom items. The map is a AOM SE and Hero Wars Elite hybrid, but built entirely by me.

The Heroes:
The reason for the map's name (I sure HOPE you get why...; and note that there are many more to come,):
Kazuma
Kamina
Kallen
Dante
Magus
Bass
Serenade
Hosaka
Zaraki
Archer *NEW*
Sho Fukamachi (Guyver 1) *NEW*
Harima Kenji *NEW*
Natsuki Kuga *NEW*

The issue:
I need more good ideas of characters; my friends and I have quite a few to be included, including quite obviously Archer, the Instigator of Gar, but I am open to your ideas... Unless they happen to be naruto or sephiroth, neither of whom are manly enough or funny enough to be included.

EDIT: More heroes, all of whom have gone through some bug checking. The newest ones have some rather impressive skills. Map nearing completion.

Attachments

• GAR_WARS.w3x
    287.5 KB · Views: 233
M

MagusZero

The placement of the recipe shops requires you to go into combat often, livening up the game a bit. I was trying to fuse Hero Wars and Age of Myths, with some more emphasis on gameplay than on knowing which item is best for your hero. The whole point is that another pure DoTA clone would be boring, so I wanted to add the possibility of more varying gameplay styles. Warcraft 3 has a very limited engine, but I want to get the most out of it I can. I only have 4 heroes completed now; and i can't really continue until that one major bug is fixed.

M

MagusZero

Really? It just seems odd that the units would have trouble with attackmove; the lag is caused by having too many units. I get no actual lag at all until the units have blocked the exits to my base. And as to 'More Gameplay': very, very vague. Do remember, however, that this is only an early beta which is being submitted for bigfixes; but so far, gameplaywise, it's more advanced than DoTA, because it has upgradeable troops and such (In case you didn't notice, the main building sells upgrades...) and you can build stuff. I'll check on memory leaks now though.

EDIT: Now seeing what causes memory leaks almost makes me want to give up on worldedit... I'll fix what I can, but this is really discouraging news.

M

MagusZero

How can Blizzard fail so much and still continue? They allow you to use one-time variables, but they don't even clear them afterward, so you have to go through and mod the variables yourself... Yes, it makes sense to do your own variables, but it still certainly does not excuse laziness...

Lightstalker

Reaction score
lag probably due to leaks. If you have massive amounts of units, this could contribute.

odd movement is due to too many units being ordered to move to a certain point at the same time.

M

MagusZero

I'm not entirely sure you're correct about the movement. Because it works until the troops reach a high level. It very well could be a leak, but I don't see how, and I don't know why the order would suddenly have a problem, nor how other AoS maps manage it without the same problem if the quantity of orders was the problem.

EDIT: So it seems you're right; that it happens when a large enough number of your team's troops are in play, because they're all going to the same place. I think I'll make separate target locations for the bases to combat this.

Zack1996

Working on a Map
Reaction score
Frankly the map description doesn't make me want to download it. Please give some information on your map, like heroes, gameplay and stuff.
Anyway, the lag is probably due to leaks (yes, leaks suck but bear with them). And as to the movement, I think Lightstalker is right, though I'm not sure (never bothered to do an AoS, no motivation).
Offtopic: Just my own experience on map making, if you like making heroes, make an arena, if you like making lots of units, an altered melee, if you like very intriguing gameplay and fun heroes, try an RPG/AoS. I am currently working on an arena because I am too lazy to make the stuff for an AoS/RPG etc.
Generally, what I mean is, make a map if you enjoy it. Making maps is not such an easy thing, make one that you will enjoy making and one that others will enjoy playing. Good luck!
PS: Blizzard didn't even have to add a map editor to the game, but they did. They focus on the game, not the World Editor. So please just appreciate that they even added a World Editor for people to make maps. (Though people might have quit warcraft if they didn't add World Editor :p)

Viikuna

No Marlo no game.
Reaction score
Editor sucks in many things, but it is still a great thing to have, dont you think?

Some your triggers are leaking, so you should check them again.

Wc3´s pathfinding also sucks, so if there is lots of units in the map it will lagg.

M

MagusZero

I actually enjoy coming up with the details for maps like this. It's really the next step up from my AnimeHeroWars; which you ought to try. The thing that annoys me is how easy leaks are, and how Blizzard really could've fixed them. Actually, I'm surprised UMSWE, with all it's added GUI functions, hasn't been modded to destroy one-use variables.

But mostly I'm annoyed with the pathfinding, since that seems to be the problem. But I do still wonder why the units at the base going to the center of the 3 paths also get the messed up movement. It's quite odd.

I guess I'll go try to fix some more leaks; but I'm not gonna bother on hero select, because those only happen once per player, and only recurring leaks should cause any trouble.

Viikuna

No Marlo no game.
Reaction score
There is custom actions for destroying groups and locations in UMSWE, you need to search them again. Custom script is a fine way to do it too.

GUI is annoying, and that is why I suggest you to learn Jass. NewGen makes Jassing really easy and it adds vJass syntax for many neat things.

Learning Jass is not that hard, and there are lots of good tutorials for it.

M

MagusZero

But it IS a waste of time; yes, it's a basic language, but it's still wc3 only. I'm just saying that functions like pick all units which create variables should destroy them themselves, rather than requiring you to declare a variable and delete it. Why have a function if it has such a blatant error? Most companies wouldn't release something with a problem like that. But that does not fix my problem, and the reason why I have posted this map here. This is really annoying; THIS map actually gets attention because it doesn't have Anime in the title, but the actual question I submit, "How do I keep the units moving?" remains unanswered...

Viikuna

No Marlo no game.
Reaction score
But it IS a waste of time; yes, it's a basic language, but it's still wc3 only
Then I guess we have a different opinion. I think that it is waste of time to use GUI because it easier to make these things in Jass. ( Edit. This doesnt mean you shouldnt use GUI if you like it, but if GUIs limitations bother you, remember that there is an another option too. )

Most companies wouldn't release something with a problem like that
I dont know why they made GUI in first place. I guess they wanted to make it easier for people to learn map making so they made GUI, but didnt have time to finish it properly. And on the other hand, GUIs limitations have never bothered me because I use Jass and not GUI.

"How do I keep the units moving?"

Have your units in group and use periodict trigger or timer to give them attack move every X seconds. It should do it for you.

M

MagusZero

While true that GUI is limited, it does do what it needs to, and with UMSWE it is quite easy to bugcheck. But yes, Blizzard does it badly. I still would only bother to learn a language if it's usable in more contexts, and the GUI has no learning involved, only a slight modification of your thinking. I refuse to tie myself to wc3 in any way. But GUI can be done much better; just take a look at Unreal Kismet.

So the solution is to order them multiple times instead of single times? such as possibly "Every .01 second of game time: While unit has not entered point, attackmove to point; while unit has not entered point1 attackmove to point1" or something? (Yes, I know wc3 isn't set up exactly that way; i DO know how to implement that though.) If it's something else, do tell.

MurderMode

Giving new meaning to co-op... slowly
Reaction score
I don't think blizzard does it poorly, the world editor is hell old yet still the best (/simplest) mod tool available for any game and it covers a wide scope of unintended possibilities. They don't support the world editor so of course there is going to be problems with it... but it still gets the job done. Same with the pathing... it's an old game, there is new shit out where the pathing is a lot worse.

When starcraft is released you'll find that it's world editor won't contain any of these kind of problems and maps like the one you are making won't be such a bitch to get running... so at least blizzard isn't wasting there time with this old hunk of junk and putting all the effort into a tool to be used with a modern game.

Viikuna

No Marlo no game.
Reaction score
I still would only bother to learn a language if it's usable in more contexts, and the GUI has no learning involved, only a slight modification of your thinking

Learning is like like putting money in the bank. Save now and learn Jass. Then you can later spend your money and use Jass and making these things becomes easier. Dont be mistaken. Even Jass takes some learning, it is not hard to learn.

But anyways back to your question:

You will find out when you try it.
It works in most maps, but there can ofc be some weird triggering in your map which ruins it.

I think there is some DotA template somewhere in this site, which has lane movement triggered ready. Maybe you should check how it works?

M

MagusZero

Ah, good idea.

And like I said, I don't plan to make warcraft maps often. So Jass would help me make warcraft maps, and then...? Nah, not gonna bother.

EDIT: Looked at a DoTA template and an AoS tutorial, and their movement is the same as mine. I know that my problem is the size of the map, but to change that would destroy it.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.