Health Gates: Buffett gift may help cure worst diseases

Dtere

Administrator
Reaction score
‘Oracle of Omaha,’ Microsoft co-founder and wife announce donations

Updated: 5:50 p.m. MT June 26, 2006
NEW YORK - Warren Buffett’s contribution of about $1.5 billion a year to the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation will be used to seek cures for the world’s worst diseases and improve American education, Bill Gates said Monday.

“There is no reason we can’t cure the top 20 diseases,” Gates said while appearing with Buffett during a donation ceremony at the New York Public Library.

The Buffett and Gates families, as well as onlookers, were beaming as the so-called Oracle of Omaha officially made his benevolence a reality.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rinpun

Ex TH Member
Reaction score
Heh, Dad and I were discussing this all of yesterday. And it coincides with Bill's announcement of his resignation as Microsoft's head. Guess it goes to say that the World's Two Richest Men are quite synergistic.

uberfoop

~=Admiral Stukov=~
Reaction score
Dtere said:
“There is no reason we can’t cure the top 20 diseases,” Gates said while appearing with Buffett during a donation ceremony at the New York Public Library.
yea, gl with a good cancer cure.

Dtere

Administrator
Reaction score
I just wish that the United States would pay more attention to things like this. To me... curing disease / medical research is a much more viable way to spend money then going to war in Iraq. Not to mention the best offense is defense. What's happening to prevent a nuclear attack (by bomb planting, not missle) on any US city? ... nothing. I'm waiting for the day when this is going to happen, it's just a matter of time.

Not to mention the US being a great father figure to our citizens by going trillions of dollars in debt and doing nothing to solve the problem.

Sometimes I wish we could have a civil war in the US and split the west from the east. Since the west is more concerned with the equal treatment of people as well as the advancement of human kind, in general.

Rinpun

Ex TH Member
Reaction score
Sometimes I wish we could have a civil war in the US and split the west from the east. Since the west is more concerned with the equal treatment of people as well as the advancement of human kind, in general.

Funny, because I live in the East, so you've done a very poor stereotype on all of the people here. You should realize that the side that is pushing the way of dropping blindly into situations before making a proper is spread pretty evenly across the states. Same is with the side that pushing the way of the isolationist and worrying more about ourselves and perfecting the issues that plague us as humanity. I myself believe we would be better off if we as a government would stop meddling in other country's business. George Washington had the right idea there :p

uberfoop

~=Admiral Stukov=~
Reaction score
yea, except that in the end, medical research just causes overpopulation, which in turn leads to mass starvation.

Rinpun

Ex TH Member
Reaction score
uberfoop said:
yea, except that in the end, medical research just causes overpopulation, which in turn leads to mass starvation.

This can only be answered with three letters.

W-T-H

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
i just wish the whole human race died. :D Problem solved.

Rinpun

Ex TH Member
Reaction score
I'll still be awaiting uberfoop's reply though. Seriously, wth about overpopulation? Didn't they teach you in geography or something that there's enough room to accomodate many more billions?

uberfoop

~=Admiral Stukov=~
Reaction score
Rinpun said:
I'll still be awaiting uberfoop's reply though. Seriously, wth about overpopulation? Didn't they teach you in geography or something that there's enough room to accomodate many more billions?
Yes. The approximate max for structured society to live well is around 12 billion. Yes, more people could theoretically be fed. But politics counter that. If you didn't notice, the Earth's population is going up crazy fast. And if you also didnt notice, the poverty and lack of food in many areas (cough *india* cough) is causing people to kill tons of babies already.

Rinpun

Ex TH Member
Reaction score
That would be because India doesn't have enough room for all those people. I do see what you mean by politics, because they will try to stop immigration. Still, you should notice that medical research should not effect this issue anyway. All medical research does is keep the old people older.

The other thing worth noting about medical research is that it costs a LOT of money, no matter what kind of cure you find. I seriously doubt everyone would be able to afford it. Certainly everyone in USA, but places like India? If anything, medical research through outreach events is what's increasing the general population. And those outreach events are for the "betterment of mankind". Sounds like you got yourself in a loophole there by stating medical research is a means of overpopulating the world and thus killing many of innocents. Seems like you're suggesting it's a good idea to leave all those poor people in Africa to suffer without medicine. I do think the losses will always be proportional to the population count...if it's bigger, the overpopulation will cause the percentage to even out some. If it's smaller, the plagues will level out the percentage.

But I digress, this is quite off the subject.

Dtere

Administrator
Reaction score
Funny, because I live in the East, so you've done a very poor stereotype on all of the people here. You should realize that the side that is pushing the way of dropping blindly into situations before making a proper is spread pretty evenly across the states. Same is with the side that pushing the way of the isolationist and worrying more about ourselves and perfecting the issues that plague us as humanity. I myself believe we would be better off if we as a government would stop meddling in other country's business. George Washington had the right idea there
I never said that the east was a bad place, but i shouldn't go off topic more than i already have.

Also, overpopulation isn't really that big of a deal. It's the pain and suffering that i'm more worried about. Try to have one of these diseases and explain how you feel physically. Overpopulation will soon be cured by the discovery of planetary exploration.

General chit-chat
Help Users

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.