Getting Nuance to work

StarControl

Reaction score
I'm new to the Nuon, and my only exposure so far is through Nuance. I've gotten as far as getting the games to load, but I can't get them to start. The emulator is completely unresponsive to the keyboard. Also, there is a guy on another forum with a recent quad core CPU and hot video card that says that when he does get it to go that Tempest 3000 is like a series of snapshots. The emulator was developed long enough ago that I'm having a hard time believing a modern PC can't run it full speed. Are games playable on Nuance if it is set up right? The sound is a little choppy on my quad core, and I haven't even got the games started yet.

The Next Tetris loaded up, but it starts with a movie and of course Nuance doesn't have movie playback. Is there a way to skip past the movie to the game? For that matter, is IS3 playable if you don't mind missing the movies?

Any hints for the Nuance newbie?

StarControl

Reaction score
I've played with Nuance and the configuration settings some more and actually played a game of Ballistic. However, the best I can do is get Ballistic and Space Invaders to play in slow motion, and Tetris to start up in super slow motion. Merlin Racing dies right after character selection. I didn't attempt TNT, IS3, or Freefall because of the video playback issue. Merlin Racing and Ballistic both bring up a weird quad split screen display. This was on a dual core, and I haven't had any better luck my quad core.

Has anybody actually been able to play a game -- any game -- at enjoyable speeds with Nuance? Or should I just give up? I was under the impression that it was a playable emulator, but I think I am going to have to revise that view.

Skah T

Former VML engineer
Reaction score
No, it's too slow to use in real-time. I believe Riff was going for accuracy over speed at first. He was going to do optimzations later. Really sucks he's no longer with us :(

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.