GMAX 2.0 questions

MurderMode

Giving new meaning to co-op... slowly
Reaction score
Hi, I have been using gmax 2.0 to make static doodads from scratch for my map project, and all that has worked without a problem from importing into the world editor to running ingame.

However, when I extract a model from war 3 for editing I have problems. Here is my questions.

1. First of all, when I import the .mdx the static model imports ok, but when I try play the model's animations the bones go haywire and just spinning all over the place until it crumples the unit into a small ball. Is this just an editor problem for gmax 2.0 and if I edit the static model and export it back into the game will the animations work correctly?

2. If it is an importing problem, what is a good import script or method that works with gmax 2.0?

3. I have tried building units from scratch and have animated them according to Magos' model tutorial, and in the editor it works fine. I then export the model using dex (v1.85c i think, i'm not currently on my WE pc) using the correct method of setting the animations to frames, add in all the textures (etc) just as I would my working doodads. When I import them into the world editor tho, they are just static models with no animation choices on the model viewer. I then have tried opening them with a war3 model viewing program and with that they have the animations listed, but they do nothing. Have I missed a key step or is my exporting script incompatable with gmax 2.0?

I'm only asking these questions because every thread and website that I have searched for answers or downloaded scripts from doesn't seem to be aimed at this version of gmax, but an older one....

any help would be appreciated :)

MurderMode

Reaction score
bump. B U M P !

cmon, there has to be someone who uses gmax.

AND

If not what do you use? I heard that 3DS MAX 5 is good for war 3, but I'm not sure if that can still be purchased, and to tell you the truth I don't really want to buy an old version of a program... is there a freeware or shareware version available?

MurderMode

Reaction score
gmax is a free model editing program that can be used for warcraft 3 models. It is the one used in Magos' Modelling Tutorial on the helper website. The problem is that gmax has been taken over by a different company and they have made newer versions that I dont think are compatible with the tutorials script's and methods....

That's why I have created this thread, to find out if I am doing something wrong or if I am using the wrong scripts to work with the current version of this program... I really enjoy the thought of making custom models for my maps as well as for others on the helper forums :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.