Gordon's QT

Sir Gordon

Decent User (I'm as good as you)
Reaction score
So, this time of day I'm so busy, but I need a lot of help in my AoS map, I'm a not-so-decent triggerer, and I have many questions which I can't afford to look them up by searching topics...(affording refers to my spare time).

Therefore I decided to make a question thread. Because making multiple threads in annoying, plainly. Don't pay heed if you find any questions too easy for you and wonder why I don't know of them, we're not the same.

I will be listing my questions below, and I will be updating this post anytime I get a clear answer.
A just 'reward' for helping me will be cradit given on my map (state your Bnet name somewhere or pm me) or reputation, if you fancy.

Let's see my current questions:

1. What does the Condition "Evaluation count of (this Trigger)" do? where does it help? - answered by cleeezzz

2. How can you increase a unit's armor/range (not aquistion range)/ attack speed/ damage via an action command? - if it can't be done just say so -

3. How can you make a unit get as a default model file, the model of an alternate unit? (e.g Metamorphosis DH to a custom Hero) answered by Psiblade94122

4. Is there a way to detect an auto-cast spell or make an action whenever it's triggered? - Answered by Sil3nt

5.How much might be the values in an object editor ability (such as: Chain Lightning, Earthquake, Generic Summon abilities) that make WE crash? - e.g 9999 targets hit?? -

6. Is there a way to increase a Hero's attribute with decimals in the action "Hero - Modify attribute - Add strength"? - Answered by Psiblade94122

7. Can you add the effects of an ability (e.g -armor/-damage/AS-MS slow) with just having a buff on a unit? - Answered by Psiblade94122

8. How can you make an ability (let's take Frenzy - selfcast IAS ability) or an ability's buff only last for a limited number of attacks (let's take 5)? - answered by vypur85

9. When you convert an Item ability to a Hero ability, after you learn it, ingame, it doesn't show any icon or tooltip on the abilities bar, but the effects are still given. What's wrong? - answered by vypur85

10. Could you show me some generic ways of reducing lag?

11. Is there a way(s) to decrease screen loading time? - answered by kenoriga

12. What does a "splatter" do?

13. How can I make an ability to reset another ability's cooldown when cast, but not all of them? - answered by averes

14. I know you can do things depending on a unit's health, but could you show me a trigger that makes a unit damage another unit for 50 dmg for every 100 health lost in the last 5 seconds? (that's an example ability)

That's all - for now.

P.S1: Please do your best to give answers in GUI. I have no clue for JASS currently.

P.S2: Don't reply saying "go search", I explained above that I don't have enough time to surf around.

Thanks in advance for all your answers :)

Psiblade94122

In need of sleep
Reaction score
1: i dont know
2: armor could be dont with a dummy devotion arua or item armor bonus
Range could be done with upgrades but theres no way in going backwards
Attack speed give the unit a dummy endurence aura or item attack speed bonus
damage, give the unit or hero a powerup with the item ability "permanate damage gain"
3. reqired animation names, fill tat feild in with the word "alternate"
4. yes, but i do not know how. im pretty shure your gona need to know jass
5. WE crashes when you mess with those values? never happened to me
6. Store the bonus in a variable, the variable is a Real Variable <real meaning it can store numbers with decimals> then check for whenever that real is equal to or greater then 1, then add one to the hero's attribute and -1 from the variable.
7. Buffs dont do anything but give you text on wtf is happening to the unit affected. They are also used for art <IE: specal effect attachements on a unit">

btw, if you dont have enough time to surf around then you dont have enogh time to work with the warcraft III world editor, trust me that thing will eat away more time then surfing thehelper.net will ever eat away <or even mroe then surfing the web in general>

Sir Gordon

Reaction score
1: okay
2: that can be done, yes, but that results as an aura affecting the unit, not a trigger's action. Let me know if there's another way.
3: Yeah, I tried that. Nothing happened.
4: sad fact
5: Let me rephrase that...I want to know if a value in e.g Chain lightning, say...max targets hit is set to 9999, will WE crash?
6: that helped, thanks :)
7: That kinda helped as well, thanks again.

btw, afaik, spending time in both WE and surfing around costs too much time so I prefer WE alone.

Post edited, reputation given for answering #6/#7

Sil3nt

SUP?
Reaction score
3. Have you tried it ingame?

4. A non mui way would be to create a boolean variable and everytime a unit is ordered something like flamingarrowson set boolean to true, vice versa. Then another trigger would check everytime the unit attacks and if its set to true then do whatever. You could maybe make it mui using custom values or arrays but it gets a bit confusing if i were to explain it.

Sir Gordon

Reaction score
3. Have you tried it ingame?
Yes, thing is, do I need to have the normal unit first "e.g a Demon Hunter to achieve Metamorph - or Druid of the Claw to achieve Bear form"?

4. A non mui way would be to create a boolean variable and everytime a unit is ordered something like flamingarrowson set boolean to true, vice versa. Then another trigger would check everytime the unit attacks and if its set to true then do whatever. You could maybe make it mui using custom values or arrays but it gets a bit confusing if i were to explain it.
Can you clarify the words in bold?

Sil3nt

SUP?
Reaction score
>a unit is ordered something like flamingarrowson
Event - A unit is issued an order
If/then/else
order is equal to flamingarrowson (when auto cast is turned on for searing arrows, you can find it in one of the fields in the object editor, sry dont have my we on)
Action - set autocast = true

if flamingarrowsoff then autocast = false

>everytime the unit attacks
Event
A unit is attacked
Condition
autocast = true
action
do whatever.

Sir Gordon

Reaction score
Thanks for that, it's fully understandable and possible now.

I added 3 more questions. :)

Septimus

Reaction score
I can answer question 10.

There is many method to reduce lag, but the most efficient way to do so is to avoid having too much doodad, destructible and unit in the map especially the limitation point.

For example, the limited doodad in a map is 7000. But, you used world editor unlimited to add more than 7000 doodad. This would eventually cause the map to be quite lag.

Another way to avoid such a lag is to avoid setting a trigger that spawn too much unit at once.

For example,

Event - Every 10 second of game time
Condition - Whatever you gonna add
Action - Create 100 Skeleton Archer at regionXXX and order it to XXX

Off Topic : Go make some research.. :p :D:p

Sir Gordon

Reaction score
mm, that's a point, yes. But what if I wanted to reduce my current lag - which might be little - even more, to null? is there a way?

vypur85

Hibernate
Reaction score
8. How can you make an ability (let's take Frenzy - selfcast IAS ability) or an ability's buff only last for a limited number of attacks (let's take 5)?
Code:
Event
 A unit is attacked
Condition
 Attacking unit has YourBuff Equal to True
Action
 Set Integer = Integer + 1
 If then else
   Condition
      If Integer Equal to 5
   Then
      Unit - Remove YouBuff from (Attacking unit)
      Set Integer = 0
   Else

Code:
Event
 A unit starts the effect of an ability
Condition
 Ability being cast Equal to YourAbility
Actions
 Set Integer = 0

9. When you convert an Item ability to a Hero ability, after you learn it, ingame, it doesn't show any icon or tooltip on the abilities bar, but the effects are still given. What's wrong?
Nothing's wrong. It's meant to be like this. You need a dummy ability, say Endurance Aura which targets none unit. When learn this ability, add the Item Ability to the triggering unit.

10. Could you show me some generic ways of reducing lag?

Sometimes lag can be caused by massive corpse production from dummy units, which are not necessary anymore in the map (unless you want the corpse for revive trigger, but I doubt you want to revive dummy units).

So remove the units when they die.
Code:
Event
 A unit dies
Condition
  Or - Conditions
     Unit type of (Triggering unit) Equal to YourDummyType1
     Unit type of (Triggering unit) Equal to YourDummyType2
     And other unit types...
Actions
 Unit - Remove (Triggering unit)

Septimus

Reaction score
mm, that's a point, yes. But what if I wanted to reduce my current lag - which might be little - even more, to null? is there a way?

You can try to minimize the map size, there is a few program that enable you to minimize the map and might be able to reduce the lag as well. Although I not soo sure about that. :confused:

And if you mean the lag is caused when you play your map through online, it could be your internet line.

Oh yah, I forgot to mention. Don't create a trigger that create a mass amount of special effect.

For example,

Event - Every 10 second

Action - Create special effect thunder clap at region 000

Some special effect if been created continuesly such as thunder clap could cause a high and serious lag.

Sir Gordon

Reaction score
8 and 9 solved, thanks. I still need more ideas for 10, 1, 2, 5. Keep the answers coming :)

Kenoriga

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
} #12 Sir Gordon
Don't think there are actions for 2.
Range is increased/decreased via upgrades, the rest by abilities or by giving the unit permanent items.

vypur85

Hibernate
Reaction score
Please be informed that the trigger used for Question 8 is not MUI/MPI. It's just an example given to show you the rough idea of how to do the spell (something like Ursa Warrior skill in DotA).

Sir Gordon

Reaction score
Don't think there are actions for 2.
Range is increased/decreased via upgrades, the rest by abilities or by giving the unit permanent items.
Could you post an example trigger?
Please be informed that the trigger used for Question 8 is not MUI/MPI. It's just an example given to show you the rough idea of how to do the spell (something like Ursa Warrior skill in DotA).

I know that :)

ZiggyMcjoney

Data editor?! AAAHHHHH!
Reaction score
Code:
Events
 Unit starts the effect of an ability

Conditions
 Ability being cast Equal to Increase Strength

Actions
 Add Increase Strength +5 to (Triggering unit)
 Wait 10.00 seconds
 Remove Increase Strength + 5 from (Triggering unit)

Most basic way to do it through triggers. Although you'd have to add more fancy stuff if you wanted to make sure the ability was removd when the buff is dispelled, or use variables if you wanted to make it a targeted spell.

But that's just a basic idea of how you do it, not the most efficient way :p.

Sir Gordon

Reaction score
uh, thanks, but I already know how to add attributes. My problem is other stats :)

Kenoriga

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
} #15 Sir Gordon
Ziggy posted a similar trigger, just use tomes that increases the damage / armor / speed etc?

Question 11: Yes. Vex's Optimizer and Widgetizer. Lazy to give ya the link. :p

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.