HD Problems

frie2

Maxis & Sim Moderator
Reaction score
My mother had somehow managed to corrupt her HD on her older model gateway computer. The CD-Rom was not functional on her computer. I took the HD out of her computer and hooked it up to my computer under the "slave" jumper configuration. I reformatted the HD, installed, and updated Windows XP Pro. (just windows updated no drivers or anything) Windows was running flawlessly. I then removed the HD from my computer and returned the jumper settings to the way I found it. I put the HD back into my mothers computer. Everytime it boots up it says NTFS missing. I messed with the jumper a lot till it finally came up with operating system not found. I also tried all available IDE cable configurations. Any ideas on what the problem could be?

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
Check the Bios settings and make sure that the Hard Drive is being detected correctly.

Dtere

Administrator
Reaction score
When you reinstall windows, i recommend deleting the partition that the previous windows installation was on, create a new partition, reformat it, then install windows again. Sometimes the new installation of windows will pick up previous versions and show them still installed as FAT32 etc.

Also, note that every once in awhile what you have done does not work. For example, when you install windows though an HP machine, remove the HD, and replace it in a Dell machine, there is a slight chance that it will not work correctly.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.