Report Helicopter parenting linked to depression among college students, says study

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
A new study by Holly Schiffrin and colleagues from the University of Mary Washington finds that college students with overcontrolling parents, also known as helicopter parents, are more likely to be depressed. They discovered that helicopter parenting negatively affects students’ well-being by preventing them from feeling autonomous.

Helicopter parenting could lead to higher levels of depression and anxiety, according to the researchers. Children with overcontrolling parents may feel less able to manage life and its stressors. Researchers caution, however, that some parental involvement in children’s lives aids healthy development.

Children’s need for independence increases over time. College administrators are concerned, however, that parents do not change their level of involvement as their child ages.

Schiffrin and her colleagues looked at how parenting behaviors impact the psychological well-being of children by examining college students’ self-determination. Nearly 300 U.S. undergraduate students completed an online survey. They answered various questions concerning their mothers’ parenting behaviors and perceptions of their autonomy. Researchers also looked at the students’ overall satisfaction with life.

Last edited by a moderator:

BlowingKush

I hit the blunt but the blunt hit me.
Reaction score
My parents used to helicopter but I told them to fuck off.
Life is great now.

General chit-chat
Help Users

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.