Help me choose a laptop

monoVertex

I'm back!
Reaction score
Honest to be, I started searching around for another one, because Qosmio is not in stocks anymore, not even at providers. I am unsure if they had it and it sold out or they didn't get it at all.

So right now I am pretty much going for this one, because it's better than the Acer and I don't want to miss the warranty period waiting for the Qosmio. Besides, the Acer sounds a bit too good to be true. At that price range, it's the only laptop with those specs. And in Romanian shops, that's a fishy thing... It's also new on the market and I can't check any reviews, while for the Toshibas I found a few.

As for the stretching issue, I don't really care if the games will stretch, in the end it's not that much of an issue. Maybe it's written wrong? It says it has a 16:9 screen.

As for battery life, again, I won't take it to classes. I'm getting a laptop mainly because of the easier portability (against a desktop; I am not concerned that it has a big screen and it's heavier, I'm strong enough xD), but there will be few occasions to use it without the charger.

EDIT: It seems the screen resolution is pretty common in tv screens. And I searched google, but it seems there are none that report problems with that resolution in laptops.

Icyculyr

I'm a Mac
Reaction score
I've found this one, is it on the romanian site?

It looks pretty promising, it costs $1000 and comes with Intel integrated graphics, for $200 you can upgrade to a 5650 1GB. 500GB HDD, 2.13GHz Core i3 330M processor, 4GB 1066MHz RAM, 17.3" display w/ 900p resolution and a webcam.

monoVertex

I'm back!
Reaction score
I can search for it, however, I doubt they actually have that 200$ upgrade, they usually get the stock from providers and sell it as-is. Don't expect much from Romanian websites :p.

And anyway, isn't the Satellite Toshiba I posted a few posts earlier better than this one? It comes with an i5, 18.4", dedicated graphics and a 1280x800 webcam. I mean, for 1200$, it seems a better option to me than the Dell.

Icyculyr

I'm a Mac
Reaction score
Apart from the 1 hour and 50 minute battery life (take into account, with max brightness it'll probably be a fair bit less), it looks quite all right. What do you actually want this laptop for?

EDIT:
I've found these two that could be better potentially, what do you think?
L555 679 Euro
A500 779 Euro

They are both a little cheaper, the L555 has a ATI Radeon HD 5145, the A500 has a GeForce GT 330M. They are both about 1.5kg lighter.
The L555 has a 1600x900 resolution, the A500 has a 1366x768 resolution. It appears the GT 330M is better.

monoVertex

I'm back!
Reaction score
Sadly, couldn't find those. And I searched the Romanian laptop websites and couldn't find something better than that, on the same price or at the same price. The only thing that went cheaper is that Acer, but I am still going more towards the Toshiba because of the screen...

And I want it for web designing and image editing, mainly. After that comes gaming, along with programming (but for this I don't need a great computer) and, in the future, Galaxy Editor. On the third place come movies, general student work, video editing/processing. I am pretty much doing a lot of things with the computer...

In the end, I think I am pretty much set on the Toshiba.

monoVertex

I'm back!
Reaction score
Tomorrow I'm getting it :D. When I get the time (busy school period), I'll come back with an impression. Much thanks to anyone who helped me!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.