Report High IQ Linked To Reduced Risk Of Death

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
ScienceDaily (Mar. 13, 2009) — A study of one million Swedish men has revealed a strong link between cognitive ability and the risk of death, suggesting that government initiatives to increase education opportunities may also have health benefits.

Dr David Batty, a Wellcome Trust research fellow at the MRC Social and Public Health Sciences Unit in Glasgow, and colleagues, found that a lower IQ was strongly associated with a higher risk of death from causes such as accidents, coronary heart disease and suicide.

The researchers studied data from one million Swedish men conscripted to the army at the age of 18. After they had taken into account whether a person had grown up in a safer, more affluent environment, they found that only education had an influence on the relationship between IQ and death.

The researchers say the link between IQ and mortality could be partially attributed to the healthier behaviours displayed by those who score higher on IQ tests.

Whole article here.

Ninja_sheep

Heavy is credit to team!
Reaction score
doh, isn't that kind of obvius?
I mean, the reason humans are somewhat intelligent IS to survive longer oO

denmax

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
This reminds me of a song,

"Do more than survive,
Let's live like we're alive"

People who are very intelligent would probably read the fine print, understand every scientific word being stated in a sign that when translated says "Warning: Has stuff that kills", walks properly, knows kung fu moves, is smart enough to buy a gun for self defense, etc..

Bronxernijn

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score

Ninja_sheep

Heavy is credit to team!
Reaction score
That expiriment is not really well made.

They just took the dumb and the intelligent flies and gave them little food. Then check who survives longer.

However, maybe intelligent flies find food easier, recognise threats faster and can flee more often.

DM Cross

You want to see a magic trick?
Reaction score
I think, therefore I will not die?

Dark_Phoenix

Reaction score
Huh.

Its Natural Selection.

sciencep.png

Samael88

Evil always finds a way
Reaction score
I actually got a pretty good explanation for this:) Don't know if it is true beacuse it is just a theory of mine, but it sounds good:D

When people get old, our braincells start to die. That is what causes dementia, don't know if that is the correct word for the disease tho. But it is what it is called when we go all co-co and it is caused when the braincells die.

The more active braincells we have, the more intelligent are we, or something like that.
It can be altered.
The more active braincells, the longer we live.

And this is why?

Beacuse of that it often takes longer to kill 100 cells than it takes to kill 10? right? It is the same about braincells.

If we say in an example, we have Tom and Adam, we have an average of 2braincells that dies per day, for the example.
And let's say that the IQ=Braincells, just for the simplicity of it.

Tom has 70IQ.
Adam has 170IQ.
If we where to recuse them by 2 each day.
We can show it easy by doing this:
70/2=45, that is how many days Tom has to live.
170/2=95, that is how many days Adam has to live.
Not real people, not real numbers, but the princip is the same.

This is if a person dies of natural causes. Yes, I am reffering to age.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.