How much power will my computer need?

frie2

Maxis & Sim Moderator
Reaction score
Is there a tool or a reliable method that I could use to determine how big of a power supply my new computer will need?

Here is my hardware list:

1 LG 22X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe Black SATA Model GH22LS30
1 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST31000340AS
1 Intel EXPI9300PT 10/ 100/ 1000Mbps PCI-Express NIC
2 XFX PVT88PYHF4 GeForce 8800 GT 512MB
1 G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666)
1 Intel BOXDX58SO LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard
1 Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor
2 G.SKILL FM-25S2S-64GB 2.5" 64GB SSD's

Thanks,
frie2

enouwee

Non ex transverso sed deorsum
Reaction score
All listed components together use at least 500W under load, you're a candidate for the 750W+ PSUs.

Your setup doesn't really make sense:
  • you've got a triple-channel mainboard there. Why are you only buying two memory modules?
  • do you really need 2 NICs? You've already got an on-board one.
  • the video cards are pretty outdated.
  • if you're into gaming or overclocking, the Bloomfield isn't something for you. Stick with a latest-generation Penryn.
  • where's the heatsink? No extra fans? They draw some power too.

frie2

Maxis & Sim Moderator
Reaction score
-I'm glad you pointed out that my mainboard is triple channel. I will be adding another RAM stick.

-That NIC will remove the TCP/IP stack off of my CPU. Plus, it will ensure the most stable connection available.

-The differences between the 8800 and the 9800 aren't enough for me to spend twice as much.

-I do game, but not enough to care. Also, I do a lot image processing as an astrophysics major, so the 8 thread Nehelam will be great.

-I will have a total of 3 fans not counting the CPU fan. Will that make a huge difference in power requirements?

enouwee

Reaction score
That NIC will remove the TCP/IP stack off of my CPU. Plus, it will ensure the most stable connection available.
Whether you use the on-board NIC or a dedicated one shouldn't make a real difference. Both come with checksum off-loading (see the DX58SO specs for the 82567LM).

-The differences between the 8800 and the 9800 aren't enough for me to spend twice as much.

-I do game, but not enough to care. Also, I do a lot image processing as an astrophysics major, so the 8 thread Nehelam will be great.
If you don't play that often, why are you buying two video cards? Are they really worth the additional power costs?

-I will have a total of 3 fans not counting the CPU fan. Will that make a huge difference in power requirements?
Add 10-20W, just to be sure.

Logical_1

Advisor
Reaction score
Look at the Intel SSD's instead. Better performance if that's the kinda thing you're in to.

enouwee

Reaction score
Look at the Intel SSD's instead. Better performance if that's the kinda thing you're in to.
The Intel ones are about 6x the price of competitors. If you consider that the "extreme" model (170MB/s writes) is limited to 32GB capacity, it's ... well ... not worth the cost.

G-Skill SSDs included, the price all the parts is about $1400. That's what you pay for two X25-E alone.

Logical_1

Advisor
Reaction score
What stat for drive performance is most important to you? How fast you cfan find something on the drive or how fast you can get stuff off and put stuff on the drive?

Samael88

Evil always finds a way
Reaction score

It should say on the fans what they draw in Watts.
If it don't it is Voltage*Current=Effect.
P=V*A

on an old CPU-fan I got right here, a really small one it is this:
12V*0.15A=1.8W
And that is just a really small one;)

Always count the voltage as 12 Volt, just to be sure!

G-Skill SSDs included, the price all the parts is about $1400.

That is a lot of money for a Harddrive:eek: Why even bother with the such stuff.
I for one is satisfied with a disc that has this: Sata2, 7200RPM, more than 500GB.
What more can one need anyway?:p

frie2

Maxis & Sim Moderator
Reaction score
enouwee,

I am buying 2 graphics card to so I will be able to play at 1920 X 1200. From what I understand, the performance at higher resolutions is more dependent on GPU performance than CPU performance. Also, I do believe that my SLI 8800's will outperform a single 9800, 260, or 4785. I have a 24" LG monitor that looks great, and I want to take full advantage of it.

Also, thanks for your help.

enouwee

Reaction score
I am buying 2 graphics card to so I will be able to play at 1920 X 1200. From what I understand, the performance at higher resolutions is more dependent on GPU performance than CPU performance. Also, I do believe that my SLI 8800's will outperform a single 9800, 260, or 4785. I have a 24" LG monitor that looks great, and I want to take full advantage of it.

Yes, the GPU is the limiting factor at highest resolutions, but your SLI configuration just won't be able to beat the newest generation cards (the Nvidia 260 series is two generations newer than the 8800GT).

So, these resultats hopefully don't come as a surprise to you:
http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/...8/Sum-of-FPS-Benchmarks-1920x1200-AA,801.html

Look around and see if the higher energy consumption of your 8800GT is really worth the extra FPS you could get. In most cases, these cards will just lag behind the current top models.

frie2

Maxis & Sim Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks for all your help, but unfortunately I won't be getting a new computer this month. However, this only means when I get one in June it can only be faster.

Exfiltrate

Reaction score
Get a Gtx260 216 or 4870 1gb

I would suggest you get a Gtx260 216 or 4870 1gb for that resolution, as I can guarantee you that the dual 8800gt's will get beat. That would be the best performance for the money. Also I would get a better motherboard, like the Asus P6t (I have that and it's great., or the Evga x58.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.