How to build a laptop?

trigger_newb

Reaction score
**New Computer Build** Check up please :)

for previous readers - thx guys, I decided to go with a custom computer instead. I've done a bit of researching on the past few days and I have a build that I feel suits me nicely, can you guys take a look at it?

Computer Parts
Motherboard
MSI P55A-G55 P55 ATX LGA1156 DDR3 2PCI-E16 2PCI-E1 3PCI SLI CrossFireX SATA3 USB3.0 Motherboard - NCIX $129.50+

Video Card (2)
EVGA 768-P3-1360-TR GeForce GTX 460 Video Card - 768MB GDDR5, PCI-Express 2.0, Dual DVI, Mini HDMI, SLI, DirectX 11, Fermi - Tiger $169.99+

Computer Processors Unit
Intel Core i5 750 BX80605I5750 Processor - 2.66GHz, LGA 1156, 8MB L3 Cache, Quad-Core, Lynnfield, Retail - Tiger Newegg $199.99+

Memory
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL - Newegg $49.99+

Hard Drive
Western Digital WD5001AALS Caviar Black Hard Drive - 500GB, 7200 rpm, 32MB, SATA-3G - Tiger $54.99+

DVD Burner
Asus DRW-24B1ST 24X Internal DVD Burner - DVD? 24X, DVD+RW 8X, DVD-RW 6X, DVD? (DL) 12X, DVD-RAM 12X, CD-R 48X, CD-RW 32X, SATA, 2MB, Black, OEM - Tiger $19.99+

Computer Case
Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Newegg $89.99+

Power Supply Unit
Antec TruePower New TP-750 750W Continuous Power ATX12V V2.3 / EPS12V V2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC "compatible with Core i7/Core i5" Power Supply - Newegg $79.99

I'm not sure which Windows version I should go for, but I think generally any Windows 7 64 bit is okay (am i rite?).
I need a double check on the compatibility of motherboard and parts, whether the computer can run in SLI mode, and my PSU calculations. I used a calculator that a helper sticky gave a link to, and got 608 watts. However, I selected a 750W PSU, just in case I was wrong and because of its compatibility preferences but please correct as needed.

A few other things I want to make sure is survivability of my computer; I'm not overclocking any processors because of possible overheating. I'm just scared because I see lots of people on online shopping sites giving feedbacks a few months after their initial buy and saying that their processors (mainly GPU's) have fried up. Thanks in advance! :)

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
laptops usually aren't built, as the motherboard size isn't standard and thus it's pretty much tied to the chassis (or w/e you want to call it), the hard drive/memory can be changed easily, the CPU is also usually changeable (though this would require more work), but the graphics is very rarely if ever possible to upgrade/change

if you want to build your own, look for a "bare-bones" laptop to build off of

the programs/drivers: you need to know what programs you will want to use, and the drivers depend on what hardware you have, just get drivers for that

what size laptop are you looking at (well you won't really find any good gaming laptops under 15", but between 15", 17" and 18")?

DDRtists

ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɹǝdns
Reaction score
Building a laptop is WAY more money than buying a prebuilt one, unlike desktop computers.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.