Hydrogren Cell Conversion on Car?

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
I was thinking about buying one of those guides to convert water into hydrogen to make the car run on hydrogen as well as the gas, but don't want to fuck my car up by doing so when it turns out it doesn't work.

So I was wondering if anyone has ever done this and made it work, and if so what did you do?

I have a 2002 Hyundai Sonata if that matters.

Ozzdog

Hopeless Toby Driver fan boy
Reaction score
I am intrigued at this. Could you post a link to some info on this (I can't find any good ones?)

DDRtists

ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɹǝdns
Reaction score
I've heard it works and I've also heard it doesn't. Though the ones that said it did work say it doesn't make that big of a difference in MPG, barely noticeable.

Genkora

Frog blast the vent core!
Reaction score
hydrogen cells are not very efficient because no one has taken the time to make them so. Mainly because no one uses them. You'd be wasting your time trying, not to mention hydrogen is extremely explosive, and anything you did yourself would most likely be unsafe.

And I doubt there is a plausible guide on the web that allows you to convert water to hydrogen for your car. It takes tremendous amounts of energy to form the reaction necessary to break up the water bonds, and the amount of energy you would get from using the hydrogen is far more than your car could use. What I mean is you would most likely kill yourself in an explosion.

You could use catalysts to speed up the reaction and reduce the energy needed to cause the reaction, but that gets into advanced biology and chemistry, not something a do-it-yourselfer could do.

My suggestion, wait until scientists come up with a better way to use hydrogen.

Jindo

Self
Reaction score
There was a company that made a fully hydrogen-powered car, but it hasn't been finished/released yet.

As far as making a regular car run on hydron goes, my knowledge is relatively limited on the subject, I'd imagine it isn't easy to do at all.

Warmachine

Reaction score
There was a company that made a fully hydrogen-powered car, but it hasn't been finished/released yet.

As far as making a regular car run on hydron goes, my knowledge is relatively limited on the subject, I'd imagine it isn't easy to do at all.

Both Honda and GM have full-hydrogen prototypes (Honda has leased ~500 to some customers in So Cal).

Most hydrogen conversions are just a scam and I wouldn't recommend it.

An interesting thing would be to get a rotary engine car (ex - Mazda RX8) and use hydrogen fuel, as I believe they can use it without any engine mods. Just change out the fuel system and you have a running car.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.