Im a noob mapper and know close to nothing: Plz Help

Newbwc3

Sephiroth_VII
Reaction score
I used to be a noob just like you. Read tons of tutorials and trial and error. And try not to make meaningless posts, like "my map doesn't work!!OMG why doesn't it work?!"

Mike889

Reaction score
Try starting with Melee Maps. Meele maps are normal warcraft games. Just make the terrain, put player start locations, neutral creeps, shops, etc. After that you can start editing units, spells, and later or, using triggers ^^

Darg

Administrator
Reaction score

Not making posts like this would be a good start.

Just take any official map from Blizzard that you like playing, and open it in the editor to see how it works. I mention Blizzard specifically because they set a good standard as far as quality of mapmaking goes.

S

Sc3grim

Thank you so very much, Ive got a few ideas of some maps i would like to bring to life and it kills me to not have the skill.

I used to be a noob just like you.
This gives me confidence, i was afraid i had to be a "natural" or good at programming, or something like that. Thnx!

crystalguard

Reaction score
Everyone was a noob mapper at one time, It took me about 3 weeks to even start figureing out triggers, withen my first week I didn't even know what events did. Just remember if your bad at something work on it, and dont give up, And if your good at something hone your skills at it, For me my best trait was terraining, even tho I was still amaturish at it, I kept getting better, I hung around 2-P's terrain thread for a while, and got inspired by alot of peoples work.

ManyTimes

I'm so lonesome I could cry...
Reaction score
Watch the date of this thread. Thank you.
Sorry just had to!
February is not that old? Alright!

Rules:
"Please do not revive old threads. If the thread to which you intend to reply is more than about a month old, don't reply to it. Just create a new one if you have a question about it."
Even a month is too long, for such a thread as this one. Move on.

crystalguard

Reaction score
I posted here because I saw sc3grim posting in another thread, thinking that, I desided to check out his thread, and this thread, isant that old.
Finnally
White text is Ghey!!

Kenito

I Helps Most Goodly
Reaction score
Am I a witch if I delved into custom maps and basic singleplayer missions before making melee maps, yet turned out fine in terms of my expertise? o_O

And yeah. Some things...

1) Look around the world editor. Just fool around a bit with it, see what it can do.
2) Use the links already posted.
3) Ask for help whenever it's needed, the people around here are more than willing to help.

Oh and welcome to TheHelper! :D

MurderMode

Giving new meaning to co-op... slowly
Reaction score
I recommend you start practicing by trying to create a small tower defence map, those are quite easy.

Start by creating the units (towers and creeps) in the object editor, just changing names, models and stats.

Then create a builder unit and add the different towers to his available buildings.

After that, go through the ability editor and have a look at the different spells, and see which ones you could add to the towers.

Once you have done that, create the terrain. Draw paths for the creeps to move along, practice adding cliffs and doodads to make it look nicer, and maybe try higher level terraining like raising and lowering the terrain to make it look more realistic.

Once you have the units and terrain done, it will be time to start looking at how to trigger the game to work like a tower defence. You will need to learn things like how to spawn the creeps, how to order them to move along the path and how to give the players lives, etc.

With the triggering and learning how to do this kind of stuff you will most likely need to come back here and ask questions. When you do, make sure your question is very accurate and describes exactly what you want to achieve. This will make it easier for someone to help you, and get you the answers you need alot quicker.

After completing this map, you will have learnt alot of basic warcraft editing skills that you will be able to improve upon in more difficult maps, as once you have an understanding of everything required to make the tower defense (units, terrain and triggering) all you will be doing with your future maps is adding onto what you already know.

Bronxernijn

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
1) Look a bit around in the World Editor, see what each button does.
This is what I did, and it worked a treat. It is not that complicated, most of the buttons have a very logic use.

2) Start learning triggers.
If you are capable of programming, you can work this out for yourself. Otherwise I suppose taking some tutorials. I suggest taking this tutorial.

3) Think of a small project you would like to make. Start it by planning things, don't just start. You should be able to think of something.

4) If anything is unclear to you, or something doesn't work, start a new thread in this forum, people here are glad to help you.

Well those are the best advices I got :D

S

Sc3grim

Thanks for the concern but this thread is kinda old and im past my first extreme nooblet stage. I have made a map to explore the suff and whatnot and i am almost done with a map that i am gonna put on epicwar.com to see how it gets rated, and i might host it depending on its rating.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.