Gaming I'm sad to see the old gang go, but Larian really doesn't need the Baldur's Gate IP or D&D to make another groundbreaking RPG

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
Larian Studios, the developer behind Baldur's Gate 3, has recently announced that it'll be moving away from D&D games, also citing a general lack of enthusiasm when it came to developing DLC for BG3. And honestly? I'm pleased as punch.

Well, for the most part. I am admittedly holding some conflicted feelings about these characters' stories continuing elsewhere, and the fact there won't be any Larian-quality expansions for one of my favourite games. But as I said back in September last year there are plenty of nerdy, mechanical reasons why a high-level D&D campaign would struggle in a videogame environment.

Overall, Larian's move away from the Forgotten Realms hasn't dimmed my hype for the studio's next big project—if anything, I'm happy to break free from the dreaded d20, even as someone who has played his fair share of D&D and, allegedly, enjoyed most of it.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.