News Intel Core i9-14900KS Is Already Breaking Records, Overclocked to 9.1GHz on Liquid Helium

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
As expected, Intel's highest-clocked chip ever is already setting world records even though it's just one day old.

Intel launched the swan song for its LGA 1700 platform on Thursday with the Core i9-14900KS. This "Special Edition" CPU is a binned version of the 14900K, plucked from obscurity due to its ability to overclock to 6.2GHz right out of the box. Now, an overclocking team has taken Intel's newest flagship CPU past 9.1GHz and set a new world record. The team had to use liquid helium to accomplish this task, which is slightly more effective than liquid nitrogen and represents the pinnacle of cooling technology.

An Asus overclocking team led by the esteemed clock-tickler Elmor is responsible for the new CPU world record at an Asus Republic of Gamers overclocking event. Elmor and his crew were able to push the Core i9-14900KS to 9117.75 MHz on an Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Apex motherboard, which costs around $650. To achieve this clock frequency, the CPU had to be chilled to sub-zero temperatures with liquid helium, and the video shows the elaborate setup required to get it to work correctly. The chip ran at a frosty -230C for the final run at 9.117GHz.

The same team previously set the CPU overclocking record on a 13900K in 2022, which they were able to run at 9.08GHz, so this new record is just slightly better. The previous run also used liquid helium, which is pretty much the go-to setup when records must fall. The only difference between the two runs that we can spot is that the previous one had the multiplier set to 90, whereas the new chip was able to run with a multiplier of 91 on a 100MHz bus.

Video taken of the event shows the chaotic scenario that unfolded, trying to keep the chip cool during the overclocking run. Liquid helium is continuously dumped into a cooling pot sitting atop the processor while a phalanx of fans blow what appears to be smoke away from the motherboard.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.