Sci/Tech Intel cuts quad-core price by 50 percent

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
Intel posted price cuts on Sunday that included reductions of 50 percent on select quad-core processors. The chipmaker also introduced new Celeron and Core 2 Duo processor models.

The price of the Core 2 Quad Q6700 (2.66GHz) fell 50 percent from $530 to $266, while the quad-core Xeon X3230 (2.66GHz) saw an identical cut: from $530 to $266.

Celeron price-cut highlights include the Celeron 430 (1.8GHz), reduced 23 percent from $44 to $34 and the dual-core Celeron E1200 (1.6GHz), falling 19 percent from $53 to $43.

The dual-core Xeon 3085 (3GHz) was reduced 29 percent from $266 to $188, and the Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 (3GHz), from $266 to $183, or 31 percent.

Read the news here.

B

Bluewind

The price went down because nobody would buy Kentsfield now. It's still better to buy a Yorkfield.

enouwee

Non ex transverso sed deorsum
Reaction score
It's still better to buy a Yorkfield.

Whose price of course remained exactly the same... I'm wondering how one shop can sell a Q9450 for 260€ and another one for 350€ (German resellers).

I guess, I'll order every part at a different shop and still end up paying less (shipping included) than choosing one of the few shops that have everything on sale.

Prometheus

Everything is mutable; nothing is sacred
Reaction score
Celeron sucks, it shouldn't even be marketed.
Though this is good, AMD's going to have to drop to complete, hell yes!

DuckieKing

Elitist Through and Through
Reaction score
1) Why could they lower the price by half? Did they find a way to make quad cores more cheaply? Was the mark-up so dramatic that they still make profits at half the price?

2) What about those three-core processors that were supposed to fill in the price/performance gap between two-core and four-core processors?

...This doesn't really affect me, anyway. I use a dual-core, and it can be overclocked faster than a quad core, and I very rarely have more than two memory-intensive processes open at a time.

Prometheus

Reaction score
1. You'd be suprised at how cheap processors are to make.

2. Tri-Cores are horrible, and they're AMD only.

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
1. You'd be suprised at how cheap processors are to make.

2. Tri-Cores are horrible, and they're AMD only.

Tri-cores are not horrible. They are just crippled quad cores. They are what they are advertised. 3 X a single core so what if they are defective, we have been buying those kinds of chips for years (486 SX/DX, Celeron, etc).

Prometheus

Reaction score
Horrible as in price, plus I've been told never to get one.
They should be less then $200.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.