Environment IPCC officials admit mistake over melting Himalayan glaciers

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
The UN's climate science body has admitted that a claim made in its 2007 report - that Himalayan glaciers could melt away by 2035 - was unfounded.

The admission today followed a New Scientist article last week that revealed the source of the claim made in the 2007 report by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) was not peer-reviewed scientific literature – but a media interview with a scientist conducted in 1999. Several senior scientists have now said the claim was unrealistic and that the large Himalayan glaciers could not melt in a few decades.

In a statement (pdf), the IPCC said the paragraph "refers to poorly substantiated estimates of rate of recession and date for the disappearance of Himalayan glaciers. In drafting the paragraph in question, the clear and well-established standards of evidence, required by the IPCC procedures, were not applied properly."

Last edited:

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
Huh... well that's just amazing. Who knew?

Tru_Power22

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
See, I knew people were freaking out about nothing.

Still cold in Canada though.

Ninja_sheep

Heavy is credit to team!
Reaction score
I just hate how some people argue all climate change is crap because they made a wrong estimate.
Those climate researchers kept making wrong estimates all the time. Sometimes they were too high, sometimes too low. BUT THAT'S LOGICAL. That's why they keep collecting data and keep doing research.

Nothing against climate-change-deniers in general, just don't argue like that.

Varine

Reaction score
So you're saying the mountains will melt in 2036? Dude ALL of their estimates are insanely high, those climate researchers aren't making estimates they're lying.

Aqua Dragon

I'm made of water. Remember that now.
Reaction score
When I originally read the title, I thought that the IPCC officials had melted the glaciers themselves and then admitted it was a mistake. :p

Varine

Reaction score
When I originally read the title, I thought that the IPCC officials had melted the glaciers themselves and then admitted it was a mistake. :p

I wouldn't put it past them. I can see it now:

'IPCC project to show affects of global warming, melts Antarctica; spokesman Al Gore admits it to be mistake and "... a very bad idea...". In other news, recently rebuilt New Orleans again under water, blame put on Bush for not ensuring better levies after catastrophic Katrina.'

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.