koreans withdrawing from the NASL

Bloodcount

Starcraft II Moderator
Reaction score
Posted on TL, from the official NASL staff.

Looks like the mess with EG, puma and TSL might not be over. I can't shake the feeling that the korean team managers are affraid that foreign sponsors are going to strip korea of it's title.

My presonal oppinion: Ironic rofl

Well, here is a big quote:
NASL Staff said:
After many hours spent working with our sponsors and writing proposals, it is with our great displeasure to announce that Koreans from oGs, Startale, WeMadeFox, TSL, and Prime will not participate in the NASL.

At the very beginning of the first season, all players and team managers were sent a rule set and contract that outlined exactly how the league would work and what the NASL would provide to its players. The NASL agreed to provide a $500 travel stipend to each player who advanced to the Grand Finals, in addition to shuttle service to and from the airport and venue. This contract was signed by all players and team managers.

We made the offer to all teams and players that we could handle hotel booking and travel (to and from the airport) for the Grand Finals and subtract those prices from player travel stipends. Almost every player took us up on this offer. The week before the Grand Finals, Koreans expressed difficulty paying for their travel, and asked us to buy their plane tickets. We solved this problem by offering to buy their tickets and subtract the cost from prize winnings and whatever was left of the stipend.

In preparation for Season 2, it was made known to us by Mr.Chae of the GSL that the Korean teams threatened to withdraw from the NASL unless several demands were made: 1) pay for 100% of travel and accommodation cost for the Grand Finals and 2) remove the security deposit. The concerns of the Korean teams, as expressed to us by Mr.Chae were that it is difficult for Koreans to travel to the USA given their generally lower level of sponsorship, and secondly that they don’t think Koreans should have to pay to enter the event [despite the fact that we refund all security deposits, making the league free to play barring any penalties].

In an effort to try to ease the difficulty of travel, we managed to double our travel budget to $1,000 per player in addition to the minimum prize of $500. Unfortunately, we were notified August 9th (our 2nd day of filming) that this offer was unacceptable, and that Koreans were withdrawing from the league.

We presented a final offer, one which redistributed our prize pool to guarantee each player $2,000 (a $1,000 minimum prize in addition to the $1,000 travel stipend). We feel that, for a 1/16 chance at winning up to $40,000, $2,000 is more than fair accommodation expense to get players to come. Despite our best efforts, the Korean teams still have declined participation.

We are disappointed that the Korean Committee waited until the final hour, not only to make these demands but also to notify us of their withdrawal. We would like to apologize to our fans who wanted to see these players participate in the NASL and to the Korean players who hoped to participate. While we do respect the Committee’s decision, we wish it had been made in a more timely manner that did not interrupt the start of our season.

While this does mean that NASL Season 2 will be slightly delayed, we remain steadfast in our commitment to eSports – we will broadcast high quality games every day and bring you some of the very best play the world has to offer.

-- North American Star League

Lets see how GSL goes ^_^

celerisk

When Zerg floweth, life is good
Reaction score
Last I looked, a there-and-back flight Korea -> US goes for about €1600 (about $2200).
Add to this the 22 hours it takes...

Seems also somewhat one-sided. Where's the Korean view?

Anyway, anyone here actually following any NASL?
I have to admit I don't even know who's playing there.
It's simply all happening at what I can only call "impossible" times.
Hence my only seeing a few select (more local) recasts of a handful of games...

Well, there's enough current and excellent content out there without them.

Bloodcount

Starcraft II Moderator
Reaction score
I am not, I am a dreamhack fan + 1st person view. NASL is just too crappy in terms of time. : (

Vestras

Retired
Reaction score
NASL is just too crappy in general. There's no exclusitivity. There's 18571347134 games streamed at weird times all the time.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.