Ladder Speed

A

AMPowers

Hey again, its me. I got another question. Me and my friend had never played a ladder game before so we decided to test it out. When I looked at the speed it said fast. I wanted to move it to fastest but it wouldn't let me.. Is there anyway to change this, and can u make ur own ladder maps?

Ilendil

Most Respected Former Admin
Reaction score
1. I don't really know what the speed problem is because I don't play ladder.

2. You can make ladder maps because some people can make "rigged" maps where 1 person has the advantage.

C

CmdrTydaeus

Correction to Ilendil's post: you can't make your own ladder maps, otherwise you could make a rigged map. The ladder maps included with the Starcraft CDs are the only maps you can play in a ladder game.

The speed problem is that, because ladder maps are counted for ranking, there are certain standards among all ladder games. Namely, the only speed you can play a ladder game at is fast.

A

AMPowers

With patches and stuff, do they come out wit new ladder maps?

And Do all of u guys play on Fastest speed? I do, and when I switch to fast, it goes hecka slow

Rapmaster

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
The speed is set to FAST (i.e. 3/4 of the way) for ladder games. You can't change it

Only Blizzard can make official ladder maps-- if you make any changes to the maps, battle.net will reject it

The ladder maps have occasionally changed as part of the patches, although Starcraft is now "done" and I doubt you'll be seeing any changes

(although they did recently release slightly modified versions of some maps for use in the CompUSA tournament)

A

AMPowers

How could you rig it if you dont know where your going to be placed? Isn't it random placing in Ladder, just like melee and FFA?

C

CmdrTydaeus

Yes, the placement is random, but it is possible to create a map that is quite unusual and will give a definite advantage to the user who designed it.

I once played "BGH Pitbull-Style" as a Top vs. Bottom game... The players were set up left vs. top, however, and my team's(left) opponents' said they were on the right, but were instead at the top. Thus, when my ally and I tried to attack the enemy with a big group, we sent a lot of troops the wrong way. Also, our bases were defended from the wrong approach.

Also, although placement is random, it would be possible for a poor player to improve their number of wins by creating a 2-player game, with one of the bases loaded, and the other base only average. Then, the player could create the ladder game, and once the game began, if s/he didn't get the loaded base, s/he could quit right away, during the period of time where a quit is considered a draw.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.