[Laptop Gaming] G51Gx-A1 Gaming Notebook (Asus)

chanta45

Reaction score
Here is my issue.

Out of seemingly nowhere, I will get a crippling drop in frame rate. All of a sudden my games will slow down and until I do a restart, it will stay that way, even if I wait for 1/2 an hour.

I just typed out this big thing only to have my internets crash, so heres a brief summary because its late and i'm cranky.

1. I DO NOT believe it is an overheating issue, my cores idle at around 51-54 and during gaming go up to around 58-61. My GPU idles at around 61 (After the computer has been on for awhile) and rises to around 74-79 during gaming... With gaming notebooks I think this is average.

2. This can start anywhere from after 3 hours of constant play, to 5 minutes into the start of the game. I don't understand it.

3. Exiting and restarting the game doesn't work, all games then suffer from crippling frame rate, rest of the system (Independant of games) runs perfectly fine. Won't fix until I restart.

4. Bios and drivers are up to date.

5. I've heard something about laptops "Throttling down" processing speed during intensive energy usage, if someone knows more about this feel free to help.

6. Laptop is new, not completely sure if it's a hardware issue or not.

7. Settings are not too high, laptop can run Dawn of War 2 on high settings with virtually no lag, until the whatever the hell happens.

Any help would be -greatly- appreciated. It hurts saving for 6 months to buy a 2000 dollar machine (Part time job, full time student, family obligations) and not have it perform like it should.

Anyone who thinks they can help, please post. This is driving me up the wall, if you need additional specs I can provide them right away. Heres the basics

Vista 64x Home Premium SP2
6 Gigs of 800Mhz Ram (Pretty sure)
600 Gigs of HD
260M Nvidia Mobile graphics card (1gig ddr3 dedicated)
Intel Core 2 quad 9000Q 2.0 Ghz

Please suggest anything you think. Again, I don't believe it's an heating issue. It happens so randomly I just don't know!

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
Change the hardware acceleration to different levels and check.

And when you updated your drivers did you do it through Nvidia or the company you bought it from? Oh and have you changed the power to High Performance?

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
going from task manager, is there anything besides the game using a high amount of CPU time/memory? (when it's slowed down of course)

also, just to clarify, this also happens with non-online games? (to help rule out the internet connection as a cause)

chanta45

Reaction score
alright sorry first of all my model is the G71Gx not the G51, also I play on high performance all the time, it lags even when not playing online.

@Slapshot, no not particularly, when I alt-tab from the program everything else is running smoothly, it's vista which is a memory whore as is, but I don't think anything is taking up that much cpu/memory. Even during Dawn of War 2 my ram usage is only at around 50% (I got six gigs!)

Any more ideas? (And how do you accelerate the hardware?)

Varine

Reaction score
If you have an Nvidia card you should be able to turn it down using the card's control panel, which usually is in the task bar, I'm not entirely sure how to do it using the Vista OS though since I've only done it using XP and 7. You'll actually probably want to turn the settings down because if you're on a laptop the video card isn't terribly powerful in comparison to a desktop which most games are designed to run on (like my card has 1.5 gigs on it and I can have three running on SLI), and see if that helps. If you can't do it in the video card control panel, tell me and I'll see how to do it in Vista.
What hardware acceleration does is tell the video card to do most of the work, if you turn it down it'll have the processor do some of it which would usually slow it down, but in this case I'm thinking that it's having the video card do all of the work and it just can't keep up once it's getting hot.

And if you did get your drivers through the retailer, just double check on Nvidia's site because I've found that retailers have a tendency to have shitty updates on it, like the last computer I had the highest one they had was from three releases earlier. Although I doubt it's a driver issue if it happens sporadically. In my experience, the video card would either lose power, the monitor would lose power, or it would just run really badly.

I've heard of this happening before, but never really looked into it before now so I'll do some more research on it today and see if I come up with anything.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
for the "video card control panel" you should be able to right-click on the desktop and then pick "Nvidia control panel" and find everything you need there.. although im not sure if it will help, but you can mess around there and try and change some settings

Varine

Reaction score
Mines not on the desktop.... I don't know where it's saved at in Vista though, I'm just assuming there would be an icon on the taskbar because it would only be on the desktop if when installing the initial drivers for it, they put a shortcut there. Which I think is unlikely since if it's a factory built computer, it would come installed already and all that would be on the desktop when he first turned it on would be the standard OS icons like recycle bin and My Computer.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
well it's here for me (and was there in vista as well)

and I said by right clicking on the desktop

Attachments

• desktop.png
    desktop.png
    182.7 KB · Views: 304
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.