Limit Summons

Setharoth114

Reaction score
I'm in the process of making a map and I ran into a snag. I'm using a Troll Witchdoctor that can summon wards, such as a healing ward. However, each Troll Witchdoctor can only summon 1 ward. How do I make this happen? I want it so that the Troll Witchdoctor can only place down 1 ward and when they try to place another one, the old one dies. I would have multiple Witchdoctors on a map. Thanks.

Sui-cookie

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
you could use the custom value of a unit. Just set the custom value for the troll that casts it to 1, and cancel the spell if it already has the value of one. When the spell wears off, or the thing dies, set it back to 0 :)

Setharoth114

Reaction score
hm, would it work if I gave the witchdoctor an inventory, then gave it an undroppable unusable item, then if it placed a ward I could take the item away. Hmmm.... only, I don't know if I could detect who casted the ward if I had multiple witchdoctors...

Moridin

Snow Leopard
Reaction score
Solution = Hashtables! :D

Instead of custom value, just use an integer. Hashtables will allow you to link the integer to the unit. :)

Moridin

Snow Leopard
Reaction score
You could take a look at this :). Though, if you're completely new to hashtables it might take a little while to get the hang of it.

Bogrim

y hello thar
Reaction score
Or base the summon ability on an ability that allows only one summon at a time, such as Feral Spirit.

Moridin

Snow Leopard
Reaction score
Or base the summon ability on an ability that allows only one summon at a time, such as Feral Spirit.
I was thinking of that too, but you need a target point for healing wards. Most summon abilities generally just summon it infront of the casting unit.

popo80000

Reaction score
You can create a trigger that will pick every unit on the map.
Whenever you cast the summon ability, you will have a unit group that will pick all the summoned unit type owned by the owner of casting unit. Then you count how many summoned unit you have and how many witch doctor you have in the map. If both are the same or the summoned unit is greater than it, remove the summoned unit from the map.

Setharoth114

Reaction score
The ablitty I made requires targeting a point. Hashtables are probally the only way to do it. I'm going to start learning how to use them, it just sucks because the computer I have in my room that I usually use for my map editing isn't fully updated, so if I add in hashtables I can't edit the map on that computer >.<. Oh well, thats just me whining.

I'm working on making Warcraft 3 the Board Game, thus I need the ablitty to be target-point.

Moridin

Snow Leopard
Reaction score
this can help, i think

Quick Question though. Would that work for Setharoth114 ? I might be wrong, because I only glanced at your link, but it seemed like it was meant for summoning abilities like water elementals?
Also, I can't read/understand the code...so I have to ask you this :p.

Laiev

Hey Listen!!
Reaction score
@Moridin

This is a template :p

based on this spell, you create your own with your configurations

or... you can just use dire wolf (or something like that [ability of orc with chain lightning]) ability, because when you resummon, the old one die

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.