Looking for help on my Project (See Desc/Demo Map)

NuQ

Reaction score
My "Simple idea" evolved into a much larger project with ambitions greater than my current ability and I could use some help. Let me start by explaining the basic premise:

I want to create a style of gameplay that is focused on squad tactics, Set into a large scale war. So far the scenario is that the players would choose special hero characters, which are hired as mercenaries by a feudal lord (controlled by ai) to help conquer other AI lords in the region. I Did it this way so there would always be a larger scale conflict raging, with real "front lines" and "Enemy territory". but the players do not directly control the offensives, merely aiding in attacks or disabling strategic objectives... Hopefully this will allow for a more tactical type of gameplay. It's pretty much a train and own only-type scenario(no base construction) and resources are gained by capturing villages and strategic points.

I hope to not only create this scenario but also generate resources that enable it to be quickly applied to a map(as you may see in how i've created a trigger event generator for the buildings)

How i've worked it so far is the villagers provide food/supplies to increase the population cap, villager inhabbit the villages(duh) which can be captured by assaulting the flag in the center of the village. Certain villages also have special buildings (so far a church and an armory) which allows for the training of new unit types as well as upgrades. I've attached a demo map, If anyone is willing to check it out and perhaps help me to develop this idea further i would be grateful. All i want to know is if there is an easier way of doing this. Oh, and of course, any suggestions or ideas for new features would be awesome.

Edit - Known issues and Some interesting things to note:

First, you're probably wondering why the units are so small... this type of gameplay would require vast amounts of terrain in order to create it's intended atmosphere... so did i make the units smaller, or did i make the world larger? kind've a half empty/half full kinda thing. ;)

I've implimented a promotion system that is so far only applied to footmen... After killing 5 units it is replaced by a captain, sort've like the veteran system from the C&C universe... it works, but i would like to develop it further. I was thinking ofdoing it so after it has succesfully competed x amounts of attacks it gets promoted. ideas?

Why does the flag have a mana shield? The flag changes owner the instant it takes any real damage. i gave it a mana shield for two reasons... it prevents it from being destroyed when players spam seige weapons on it... but also it makes it so towns who have not been attacked in for a long duration of time get kind've a defensive advantage as the mana pool increases. towns on front lines will change hands quicker than towns that are protected.

The ai takes over one town and then stops? yeah... i know... i suck at AI programming. Anyone wanna clue me in on this mystery?

Attachments

• Demo Map.w3x
    116.1 KB · Views: 84

Questionaire

Reaction score
Sounds like a good map... unfortunately I don't think I'd be of much help. :(
AI isn't really my thing either.... at least in the World Editor. Also I think that you should make it after maybe about.... fifteen to twnety attacks it gets promoted. Killing units is a bit sketchy, and one unit can become really promoted but have lost alot of health from fighting so much, so the new unit is worthless.

Also include the AI file please.

HeX.16

Isn't Trollin You Right Now
Reaction score
Ummm plz post what you would like done in colour or bold so i can see what you need thanks.
The AI file is attached to the map under imports

NuQ

Reaction score
One thing i would like to get some help on is the AI... but, I'm having to redo a few of the basic mechanics right now, i've found out that having all the structures change owner rather than be destroyed glitches the AI. After capturing their first town, since nothing was really destroyed it doesnt seem to want to consider the objective "complete." so they just hang around untill you kill their hero. I'm implimenting a way that makes the flags invulnerable at first, but become vulnerable once all the buildings in an area have been disabled. the ai then kills the flag, captures the village and moves on... still kind've buggy, but i'll post an update once i get these problem ironed out.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.