MAJOR problem please help..

MnkyOf[-]ate

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
I just formated my hard drive tonight, windows was installed and I had just spent 2 hours installing all of my programs and windows updates.

I was installing my sound drivers and installing windows media player at the same time, then windows media player said "cannot install at this time please run setup again later" and then my computer rebooted with my sound card drive installation in the backround.

So i tried getting into windows again... but it kept rebooting, no matter what setting i went into, safe mode, last known configuration, NOTHING was working.

at this point i was freaking out because my computer is brand new and still pretty high end, and I knew continuous rebooting was a VERY bad sign.

so rather than format again and lose all of the work, i installed windows again into a different folder (windows2).

to my relief and amazement it worked.

is there a way for me to repair my existing windows and then delete this one?

H

hunterr83

If you want to be on the safe side and be sure that no remnants of the old, faulty windows installation exists, reinstall windows one last night. This time, select the option to format (quick or full, doesn't really matter) the hard drive before installation begins. That should do the job.

MnkyOf[-]ate

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
After reinstalling windows to a second folder, I am now prompted to choose between which OS I can boot from at startup.

I tried using the original installation that I had almost finished, and it worked pefectly.

I think the masterboot record might have been messed up.

now, how do you suggest I remove the second windows folder?

I went into msconfig and set the Windows as the default, rather than Windows2.

would it work if I were to delete the entire windows2 folder, and then delete the extra line of text in boot.ini ?

my boot.ini looks like this right now:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS2="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

If I were to change it to this:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

Would that completely remove the other OS?

Z

zargamon

Yes this i have some ideas

#1: Call a computer guy

#2: Buy a new fucking computer

MnkyOf[-]ate

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
Don't talk **** unless you know exactly what your talking about.

1) I used to work as a computer technician

2) My computer is brand new, only 5 months old at most.

3) Sometimes its best to repair things yourself; not only do you save a considerable amount of money, but you also gain knowledge should a similar problem arise in the future.

AMD 2800+ Barton
1024MB PC3200 C2 Corsair XMS
80GB 7200RPM 8MB cache
ASUS A7N8X Deluxe

frie2

Maxis & Sim Moderator
Reaction score
Originally posted by MnkyOf[-]ate

AMD 2800+ Barton
1024MB PC3200 C2 Corsair XMS
80GB 7200RPM 8MB cache
ASUS A7N8X Deluxe

Great PC but the processor is only mediocre.... unless it's overclocked MWAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAUEHWHWwaHAG

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.