make an unit completely invisible

D

dunpealx4

i have been trying to make camouflage ability. nobody can see the caster once he cast it, not even the owner. but they all can see its shadow and the unit is selectable. this is what i have tried.

i made a hero, Sniper. the camouflage ability is based on Crow Form. the alternate unit is the same as the original sniper except its height is set to 1000. and its shadow set to flyer. but the problem is, i thought with the height 1000, it should be able to hide the unit. but somehow i can still see some part of the unit very big in the air. how can you completely hide the model? but you can still see the shadow? can you remove the unit model?

ReVolver

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Try

Code:
Animation - Change [B]Your Unit[/B]'s vertex coloring to (100.00%, 100.00%, 100.00%) with 100.00% transparency

D

dunpealx4

how du you do that? windwalk? then people need to detect it 1st in order to see it.

OHhh you mean with the triggers. i see, i am gonna try now.

D

dunpealx4

what is the command for no model? i tried none.mdl, then all i see is a green checkerbox.

T

The Mapmaker

I'd say that the transparency works best because you can't change the model through triggers and it's more complicated adding a hide ability than changing the transparency.

Edit: put "_" (without the "'s) in the model to change it to no model (but look above a little)

The Arcot

Reaction score
the green checkerbox is the right thing. It only shows up in the editor so you can remember it's there. In game theres nothing.

And as for changing it via triggers, if youre basing the ability off crow form, the idea is that you shouldn't have to use triggers at all. That's why I suggested it.

T

The Mapmaker

I suggested changing transparency through triggers, not Crow Form. Transparency makes the unit transparent.....invisible, unable to be seen.

The Arcot

Reaction score
I know. But in the first post he said
the camouflage ability is based on Crow Form

Anyway, I was just posting an alternate suggestion. I thought it would be easier, but the results might not be as good (or maybe they would, I haven't tried)

waaaks!

Zinctified
Reaction score
give the unit permanent invisiblity with a duration of 0

because the duration refers on how long will the unit fades if it is revealed, when attacking or doing some spells

and trigger it...

E: unit learns a skill
C: hero ability being learned equal to ur spell
A: animation - change unit vertex coloring to 100%, 100%, 100%, and 100% transparency

T

The Mapmaker

Your welcome.

But:
>give the unit permanent invisiblity with a duration of 0

because the duration refers on how long will the unit fades if it is revealed, when attacking or doing some spells

and trigger it...

E: unit learns a skill
C: hero ability being learned equal to ur spell
A: animation - change unit vertex coloring to 100%, 100%, 100%, and 100% transparency

I think he wanted everyone to be able to see the caster before the spell and no one to see the caster after the spell. Perm. invis. only lets the caster see before the spell.

Father_Yetti

Reaction score
I think that I may have a few ways of getting around this for you, and that don't involve anything too difficult. Here are a couple of things to try out:

take the tiniest of models that you can find and set the model scaling value as low as it will go. I don't have the editor installed at the moment so I don't know that this will work but it is worth a shot. The spell steal ability missile is extremely small.

I think that you can select to use no model which would work just fine too.

There are some models that you could select, usually under spawned effects, that will disappear after a few seconds of playing the animation file for that effect. If you found one that matched the look of the ability that you are going for then this could work for you. *For example, the impale spawned effect, when used as an art model file for a unit, will display two puffs of dust and then disappear completely. The dust would look like a magicians trick, using the cloud for cover.

*I haven't tried this using all the morphing abilities; when it is being used to switch to an alternate unit, however I believe it should work for you. If you can't get this to work then base your morph off of burrow, changing appropriate fields to suite the unit, because I know that this will work. I have done this myself and it is fairly easy.

-hope that helps?

H

HamsterBoo

does transparency remove shadow? if so, you may want to just remove the shadow from the unit altogether (no one would notice), or somehow remove it with triggers

D

dunpealx4

alright, i changed the idea a bit. but it didnt work. i use immolation as the based-spell because now i want sniper's mana decrease every second as long as it stays in cloak form just like Ghost in starcraft. and when it doesnt have enough mana, the unit will become normal. but even i remove the buff, i still see the green fire around my units and the unit doesnt turn invisible at all. what is wrong?
PHP:
invisible
    Events
        Unit - A unit Begins casting an ability
    Conditions
        (Ability being cast) Equal to Camouflage (sniper)
    Actions
        Animation - Change (Casting unit)'s vertex coloring to (100.00%, 100.00%, 100.00%) with 90.00% transparency
PHP:
invisible Copy
    Events
        Unit - A unit Stops casting an ability
    Conditions
        (Ability being cast) Equal to Camouflage (sniper)
    Actions
        Animation - Change (Casting unit)'s vertex coloring to (100.00%, 100.00%, 100.00%) with 0.00% transparency

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
use 100% transparency.
Use triggering unit, its faster and more responsive.
And sue
Code:
 tags instead of PHP tags :)

D

dunpealx4

i change to invisible Copy
Animation - Change (triggering unit)'s vertex coloring to (100.00%, 100.00%, 100.00%) with 100% transparency

nothing happens

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.