Tutorial Making >good< Heroes

Quauhtli

I have the right to remain silent.
Reaction score
sorry whasnt paying attention to this thread in a long time
but
dont worry
im going to update it right after im done finishing the newest UI update (unknown Island)

Quauhtli

Reaction score
rome said:
My piece of advice is: Spell Check.

Copy this into Microsoft Word (or something) and correct spellings
huh
well i did that and it didnt give any problems
exept for that DotA doesnt exist and that HeroLineWars and HeroArenas should have spaces in between them...

----------------

also,
I have updated the thread now. so, and ive changed some stuff and added darthfett's request. if theres any other requests, say so :D

Hero

─║╣ero─
Reaction score
You can go past the max movement speed just edit it in game play constants and then shift click the speed and put it to 600...if u don't ebelieve me check it using a -ms system similar to dota...

the maximum speed is actually somewhere around 800 because anything i tried above 800 on my computer crashed warcraft

Chocobo

White-Flower
Reaction score
You can go past the max movement speed just edit it in game play constants and then shift click the speed and put it to 600...if u don't ebelieve me check it using a -ms system similar to dota...

the maximum speed is actually somewhere around 800 because anything i tried above 800 on my computer crashed warcraft

522.00 max.

M

MysterySoul

err... i tried to make a hero on paladin with captain model and some chosen abilities... Well, the names did change what i wanted, but the abilities and attributes.... i'm not sure... they didn't change... And why my hero wasn't in heroes list, but units list? I did try follow this guide. Inventory didn't show up either.

Quauhtli

Reaction score
hmm...
did u edit your paladin or make a new hero? caus thats the only way its possible...

i advice you to make a new hero, and here is how:
Go to Object Editor , then to Unit Editor, then Right click on the Custom Units folder and click on Create New Unit.
Base it on a hero unit (like Paladin)
Now, change the models and stuff (look in my tutorial)
Now, go to Ability Editor (check other tutorials as well for abilities) and make ur abilities
go back to object editor and to your hero and change the abilities.
This all is in my tutorial, maybe you should give it another look?

uberfoop

~=Admiral Stukov=~
Reaction score
Some adviczors:

E) Your hero should be balanced, it would be really weird if you made a warrior hero wich has 3 healing spells and 1 passive spell or something.
The term 'balance' in wc3 context refers to whether something is rigged or not. It has nothing to do with the ability types it has.

You should remember the normal height, for if you want to change it back later on.
You don't have to. There's a 'reset to default' option in the right-click menu on fields.

A Frost Wyrm with a scaling value of 5 looks really nice, in my opinion.
lawl, pixelated dead dragon ftw! sry just had to say that.

3.6 Art Special:
Death... What happens when the hero dies. If you want a spectacular ending after defeating a boss, you can use like the Ressurection effect, or Disenchant. Or a funny ending would be the meteor sheep.
If that was what art-special did, then footmen would explode when you killed them with an archer.

The color the hero looks like. NOT THE TEAM COLOR! THE MODEL COLOR!
Red, Green and Blue 255 is Normal, Red and Green 255 is Yellow, Red and Blue 255 is purple, Green and Blue 255 is Teal.
Considering this tut is directed towards newbies, you should also mention that 255/255/255=white and 0/0/0=black.

If you really want to make your game realistic,
Nobody tries to make warcraft realistic. At least, not those that actualy design cool heroes (with exception of cinematic maps).

Keep in mind that in a game where the maximum level is more then 25, you should really change the unit maximum level over 25 too!
Why?

If you maked it number of dice 6 and sides per die 20 it will be 55 - 74 damage.
55-169 you mean

Projectile Art - if the hero is ranged, this will be what its "arrows" look like. If its not a projectile, and it is something like devotion aura, it means that once the archer starts the attack, the effect is invisible intill it reaches the enemy and then shows devotion aura for like 1 second...
Actualy that's not true. Just about any model in the game can be a visible missile. Like farms. And sheep (which look good on orc catapult:)). And sorceresses.

Targets allowed - if the hero is a ranger, it is advised that he can attack air too.
sp fix right there

Weapon type - gives extra damage on certain types (I thought)
Weapon type has nothing to do with damage dealt, it's the medium in which in conveys that damage. Although this doesn't really need much explaination except for like, 'artillery-line' and 'missile-line'.

Both - random using (or when one only attacks ground and one only attacks air...)
You should explain that better because random isn't just nonspecific; It's a plain wrong word choice.

Defense base - amount of damage taken reduced
No, it's not. It's a value that is plugged into a large formula to determine the amount of damage reduced, by an amount of 6% of the current amount per step. It should also be mentioned that, being the base, it's not necisarily the amount that the unit/hero will have all game.

Targeted as - normally it's ground. Those out there who like to put some odd stuff in there game can make it, ground+invulnerable or something. Or, air... Although I don't really know that much flying heroes.
see bottom for explanation of bolded area.

8.2 Balancing:
First, you said 'You have to keep abilities for your hero to be balanced'. , using no abilities would make the best balance of any map ever, cuz everything would be relatively the same. A better word choice would by 'fun'.
Also, there's still that thing with the 'what ability types certain hero types should have'. There really is no proper assortment so it would probably be best to take that out IMO. Your choice though.

Unit abilities are almost the same as hero abilities, but the only difference is that they always only have 1 level.
Erm, not true. Look at war drums for example.

I already new all this and that and this and that... Well, then just don't read my tutorial...
People messing up the different words that sound like 'nooo' is...bleh, sry...
(sp), it's 'knew' not 'new'
The conjugations of 'to know' are:
present tense:
Know (I, you, they, we)
Knows (3rd person singular)
past tense always Knew

HG-Bonfire

Reaction score
I like it, its very detailed, my only problem is that the text is a bit too small, so its difficult to read on my fuzzy monitor (but thats just me)

M

MysterySoul

I shall quauhtli, i shall...

I went in the Object editor, create new custom unit, choce Paladin and went on as said, changing model to Captain and that stuff. Normal - Ability 'inventory' was ON, but still didn't show it in test map mode, same goes for the abilities... Perhaps... i didn't do it, right... becouse the new hero unit, i made was to be seen object editor, but how to add it on the map?

Thanks for all help from anyone. I will try again.

hmm...
did u edit your paladin or make a new hero? caus thats the only way its possible...

i advice you to make a new hero, and here is how:
Go to Object Editor , then to Unit Editor, then Right click on the Custom Units folder and click on Create New Unit.
Base it on a hero unit (like Paladin)
Now, change the models and stuff (look in my tutorial)
Now, go to Ability Editor (check other tutorials as well for abilities) and make ur abilities
go back to object editor and to your hero and change the abilities.
This all is in my tutorial, maybe you should give it another look?

swb90

Reaction score
very useful...a larger font size would b most helpful...its straining on the eyes to read the words....

4/5 =)

M

MysterySoul

Well, i've tried it and didn't give better results.

So to remind you (and myself) about my aim,
i need to make a Hero that is a Captain unit (model) and
either custom abilities or just regular abilities (both unit and hero abilities),
i cannot add him to the map either and he doesn't appear in altar of Kings either...
I see him only in Object editor's Unit section...

I must be stupid :eek: for not getting anything done :( correctly... :eek:
Guess, i need a direct guide all things in Object and unit editor with pics and their descriptions...
or whateve-r.... Probably later solve it...:banghead:

Giving a name and one ability (Command Aura) to Medihv did work
the first time, but it was just unit and not hero...

Sooda

Diversity enchants
Reaction score
Whats NoD and SoD people like me would like to know it and it would help a lot. Fix a little mistake: Cooldown starts when you haven' t attacked yet (It starts first when you aquire a target then you wait "Cooldown" and then attack not attack then cooldown.). It is useful to know if you need to make Non-Triggered abilities (spells). Overall very needed tutorial !

D

Dr4gonL0rd

Good tutorial, but omg, text so small..hurts my eyes! Still a good job though.
+rep

Quauhtli

Reaction score
fixed text font

Mysterysoul:
have you checked at the Techtree of the altar of kings if it says it can train your captain hero? (techtree - units trained/sold)
other then that, i cannot see what u r doing wrong...
maybe to test out some more, try edditing the normal paladin (yes just edit it, just to test some things out, dont worry, just edit it in a new map so u dont lose im:D)

good luck

F

FuzzFriend

Thats a perrty sweet tutorial for begingers. And even if your not a beginer theres definatly some stuff thats helpful to most people.
So... goodjob.:D

P

Pwnacles

hey there

can someone help me?

i created a custom hero, and i cant get it to attack, i keep getting the message
"Must Target A Hero" if anyone could help, that'd be gravy

(id also like to know how to change the visual animation for auras)

rax_7

Reaction score
i found some mistake.

1. quote:
"Attack type - mostly it's hero.
Attack cooldown - how long it takes before the hero attacks again (in seconds)
Damage base - Base damage for NoD and SoD
Number of Dice and Sides per Die - This is pretty hard to explain. Let's say the damage base is 49. The number of dice is 1 and the sides per die is 6. This means that in game, the hero will (on level 1) have 50-55 damage. If you maked it number of dice 6 and sides per die 20 it will be 55 - 74 damage.
I hope you understood what I ment by this.

*DarthFett:*
Damage Min:
Damage Base + Number of Dice
Damage Max:
Damage Base + (Number of Dice * Sides Per Die)"

No, this is not true. This is only for units, not for hero.
Let say, if you have a lvl 1 strength hero with 0 attribute. its base damage is 49 and number of dice is 1 and sides per dice is 6. in game, for normal unit, it will be 50-55. But for hero, it will be 50-54, not 50-55. this is how it works:
for the minimum damage: 0(base attribute)+49(base damage)+1(number of dice)=50
Maximum damge: [0(base attribute)+49(base damage)+(1(number od dice)x6(sides per dice)-1(number of dice))]=54. so in game, your hero will be 50-54. each time a hero levels up, its mini-damage will increase by 1.
if you make it #dice=6 and Sides/dice=20, you will get 55-163, not 55-74, 55-120, nor 55-169. its mini-damage will increase by 6 each time it levels up.
the damage calculation formular for hero is different from units.

2. Quote:"For Maximum Number of Targets and Area of Effect please check other tutorials, I'm not so good at that"

# of target that is>1 is for those units that have missile-bounce and missile-line weapon type.
AOE is for missile-splash weapon type.

3. Quote:"7.2 Defensive:
Attacks enabled:
Attack 1 only - only everything with attack 1 before it
Attack 2 only - only everything with attack 2 before it
Both - random using (or when one only attacks ground and one only attacks air...)
None - well... none!"

both-i dont think is random using. it is how you set. if you set atk 1 targets ground and debrit, and atk 2 targets air and structure, every time an unit/hero atk ground units, it will enable atk 1. atk air and structure, it will enable atk 2.

PurgeandFire

zxcvmkgdfg
Reaction score
Pretty good tutorial; especially for newbies... A few details weren't there, but this is a good tutorial anywayz. + rep

HEAD BANGER!!! :banghead: :banghead:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.