Tutorial Making >good< Heroes

Quauhtli

I have the right to remain silent.
Reaction score
First Line:
Okay, this is my first tutorial, and I hope it's good.
Reason for choosing Heroes:
I haven't really seen many tutorials about heroes yet, and commonly the heroes are the most important thing in a good warcraft III map. DotA, HeroLineWars, HeroArenas, RPGs and ORPGs... Etc etc.

1. Intro:
What is a hero?
Okay, for those of you out there that are so new to this game that they don't even know what hero is (yet), well I will explain.
A hero is an important unit. A hero gains experience from fighting enemies, and by this (normally) goes levels up, wich (normally) allows him to learn new spells and abilities. In basic games, a hero can go to the maximum of level 10, and has 10 hero abilites, inventory ability, and sometimes ShadowMeld and Ultravision ability (if it's a (night) elf).
Table of Contents:
1. Intro
2. Basics

A)How to make
B)Auras
C)Hero Glow
D)Strength
E)Balancing
3. Making your hero
3.1 Models
3.2 Icons
3.3 Special Model - Animation Names
3.4 Scaling Value
3.5 Team Value
3.6 Art Special
3.7 Tinting Color
4. Sound and Movement
4.1 Basic
4.2 Movement Sound
4.3 Unit Sound
5. Stats
5.1 Basic
5.2 Explenation
5.3 Gameplay Constants
5.4 Hero/Unit Levels
5.5 Other Stats Stuff
6. Text
7. Combat
7.1 Offensive
7.2 Defensive
8. Abilities
8.1 Basic
8.2 Balancing
8.3 Unit Abilities
9. Eight steps to Heroic Heroes

2. Basics:
A hero requires a few stuff for it truely to be a hero.
A) It has to actually BE a hero, pretty clear actually, but I've seen some posts out there wich ask how to turn a normal unit into a hero. >This cannot be done! If you wish to make a new hero, base it on or edit an existing hero.
B) A good hero requires to have abilities/spells wich normal units in the field don't have. The hero is the leader of the group, and commonly the hero has an aura wich makes it's soldiers stronger.
Code:
Example: Brilliance Aura, Command Aura*, Devotion Aura, Endurance Aura, Unholy Aura, Thorns Aura, Trueshot Aura.
*: Command aura is actually a unit aura.
C) A nice hero commonly would have a hero glow. In WE Unlimited, theres an ability that adds this I thought. If you don't have that (I don't have it either so dont worry), you can download the effect. Hero Glow How to add this I will say in part 3.
A hero glow is not required, but it does add that little extra to your hero.
D) In almost all (normal) games that have a hero, a hero is special and you can only make 1-3 (sometimes more) heroes. And if a hero dies you commonly have to wait a while to get it back, and you don't want that. So if you want a good game that people enjoy, mostly you would need to make heroes stronger then the -normal- enemy units. However, you shouldn't really make your hero that powerfull that it's immortal. So: Not too strong, not too weak.
E) Your hero should be balanced, it would be really weird if you made a warrior hero wich has 3 healing spells and 1 passive spell or something. Also, your hero should always get a good amount stronger each level. So if you make him first level 30 damage, second level 45 damage, third level 60 damage, this is good. But first level 2000 damage, second level 5 damage... NO! This way people wont want there heroes to gain levels...

3. Making your hero:
Alright, this part I will devide into steps.
Step 1: The Idea
Before making a hero, think of an idea for how your hero would become. A fierce warrior, a heroic archer, a powerfull wizard, or a dreaded assasin. You should also start thinking about it's abilities and stuff, and try to base them on it's class.
Step 2: Starting the creation
Once you decided what kind of hero you want, you can do two things. Unit Editor: Create new unit - and base it on a hero wich has the same class recommended, or edit an excisting hero not recommended - Why? Because if you make alot of heroes, like 50 or something, you wont have enough heroes, and if you later decide to create new ones, you can only base them on the edited ones...
Step 3: Hero Art
This is a long step, I am going to scroll DOWN from the top, so dont critisize on me that I should have done the Special Model section after the Model section.
3.1 Models:
If you have enough ideas, you might already know what you want your hero to look like. If theres an excisting model, then you can just load it in Art - Model File, otherwise you must go to Import Manager and import the model. I'm sorry but I'm not going to explain that (at least not in this tutorial), if you really want to know that, I'm sure there's a tutorial about it.
The water shadow true or false makes him have a shadow when walking close to water (or on shallow water). If you make it false, it will make a creepy hero, wich would be nice for if you have like a vampire or something.
3.2 Icons:
The same goes for the icon. Art - Icon - Game Interface is the picture you see during the game, and Art - Icon - Score Screen is the one you see at the scores after the game. A normal Blizzard hero has a small score picture. My advice: If you have more heroes and some of them don't have a small score picture and some do, you should make ALL of them have big ones, otherwise the score screen is going to look ugly, well at least for me :p
3.3 Special Model - Animation Names:
Art - Required Animation Names, Attachments and Link Names, Bone Names:
Well, this is for if you want to have like the Demon Form of Illidan, or you want the storm crow form or the bear form of a night elf druid.
If you want them to have the special model, you need to look at the unit wich has the special feature, and copy the animation name text.
Code:
Example:
Human Guard Tower: Art - Required Animation Names - upgrade, first
Human Arcane Tower: Art - Required Animation Names - upgrade, second
Human Cannon Tower: Art - Required Animation Names - upgrade, third
3.4 Scaling Value:
How big your unit is. If you have a dwarf you probably want him small. If you have a giant, you probably want him big. Commonly 1.00 is the normall height. You should remember the normal height, for if you want to change it back later on. A Frost Wyrm with a scaling value of 5 looks really nice, in my opinion.
3.5 Team Color:
This changes the color of the hero, however, this wont happen unless you make the Art - Allow Custom Team Color true. The hero glow will also change using this, how to add the hero glow:
Code:
Go to ability editor (it's inside object editor) and make a new ability based on Sphere. Change the Art - Missile Art to None (unless its a ranged hero, in that case change the art to the heroes missile art. I am not 100% sure about this, but...) Then change the Art - Target to the downloaded effect. Before you can find the effect, you must first restart WE after importing your heroglow.
3.6 Art Special:
Death... What happens when the hero dies. If you want a spectacular ending after defeating a boss, you can use like the Ressurection effect, or Disenchant. Or a funny ending would be the meteor sheep.
3.7 Tinting Color:
The color the hero looks like. NOT THE TEAM COLOR! THE MODEL COLOR!
Red, Green and Blue 255 is Normal, Red and Green 255 is Yellow, Red and Blue 255 is purple, Green and Blue 255 is Teal.
Step 4: Sound and Movement
4.1 Basic:
If you really want to make your game realistic, you would make a hero wich is very tough and carries lots of armor, like a warrior, slow, and a rogue or something fast. If the hero is mounted you can make it even faster.
Recommended Speeds:
Very Slow: 240
Slow: 270
Medium: 300
Fast: 330
Mounted Fast: 360
Speedy Devil: 390-400
The maximum speed is 522. However, it is not adviced to do this, since then your movement speed bonus items and abilities wont affect the hero, well that whas what I heard.
Also, you might even change the maximum speed in 522 to 800, by using 5.3 Gameplay Constants.
4.2 Movement Sound:
Some times you want your unit to make movement sound, like if its mounted on a horse, you want it to make horse sounds... This you can find at Sound - Movement. A horse sound would be HumanKnightMovement or HeroArchmageMovement.
4.3 Unit Sound:
The sound a unit makes is also pretty important, you dont want to just have dull rightclicking without sound moving in your game dont you? Well, that's what Sound - Unit Sound Set is actually for. For my example hero, Patriot, I am using Akama sound set.
Step 5: Stats
5.1 Basic:
The stats of your hero are important to keep it balanced. If you want to keep it balanced, you must make the attributes corrosponding to the class. This means a warrior has high strenght, low agility and average intelligence, a archer would have average strenght, high agility and moderate intelligence, and a mage would have average strenght, average agility and high intelligence.
5.2 Explenation:
Strength stands for health and health regeneration
Agility stands for armor and attack speed
Intelligence stands for mana and mana regeneration
Every hero has one Primary Attribute, and that increases damage per level in that attribute. If strength whas the primary attribute, you will get more hit points, greater hit point regeneration and more damage next level of your strength.
5.3 Gameplay Constants:
You gain in all three attributes every level your hero grows, or when equiping or using items. You can change the ammount of strenght, agility or intelligence gained in the Stats section hero. If you go to your map and look on the top screen you will see Advanced. Here if you click Gameplay Constants you can change alot of stuff. If you scroll down to Hero you will see lots of stuff. The first thing is the damage bonus per primary attribute level. The normal bonus is 1 damage per level in the attribute. You can change this, but watch out, since if you make it 20 damage per level, and all the units on your map have low hit points, then everyones gonna die quick...
Theres also some Hero Awaken stuff wich only counts for when you revive your hero the normal way: Altar/Tavern.
Also, you can change the maximum speed from 522 to 800. Acording to Hero12341234 you can't change it higher, because then your computer will crash.
5.4 Hero/Unit Levels
If you scroll a little down you will see the Hero Maximum Level. Default is 10. You can make it as much or as less as you want. I know a game where the maximum level is 2. Pretty boring though... :rolleyes: Anyway, inside the gameplay constants theres also the unit maximum level, defeault 25. You can change this if you like. Keep in mind that in a game where the maximum level is more then 25, you should really change the unit maximum level over 25 too!
Scroll a little more down and you see alot of Hero Exp gain stuff. Change that if you like, adviced for games where the hero can level over level 20. I know a few games where the maximum level is 1200, pretty much yes.
Under the hero section inside the gameplay constants is the Inventory section. You can change some inventory stuff here, not that important but, maybe for the desperate one...
NOTE: Keep in mind that for changing anything inside the gameplay constants you first need to click the "Use custom gameplay constants".
5.5 Other Stats Stuff
You can also change the ammount of strenght, agility and intelligence gained per level at the stats section, you can change the building time and reviving time (for altars, taverns and other buildings wich can revive/summon heroes), the sight radius, primary attribute, hit point and mana ammount, and regeneration speed and the cost of the heroes (by default gold, lumber and food) for when they are created from altar, tavern or building.
Step 6: Text
Well, text? Actually just some stuff wich tell about your hero.
Code:
Text - Description: Not important for a hero - keep blanc
Text - Hotkey: Pretty nice if your hero gets created/hired/revived at a altar, tavern or other building. You should write the hotkey IN the name or tooltip of the hero.
Text - Name: The name of the hero TYPE, so like blabla level 1061 [B]LIBERATOR[/B]
Text - Name - Editor Suffix: If you want a reminder for your hero, write it here, dont worry, you can't see it in game.
Text - Proper Names: The names the unit can have, so like Michael, level 206 blabla
Text - Proper Names Used: This doesn't really mather that much, but it's more for the chance of wich name you get. It HAS to be equal or more then the ammount of names you have, because otherwise the last names never come.
Text - Tooltip - Awaken: This is for if your hero gets revived at a altar, tavern of building.
Text - Tooltip - Basic: The text for when you summon the unit the first time, also only for altar, tavern or building.
Text - Tooltip - Extended: The description about your hero wich again shows up only in the altar, tavern or building.
Text - Tooltip - Revive: The same as awaken, I'm not sure but I think you have to fill in the same at them both.
Step 7: Combat
I don't know what all that means, so I'm just going over the basics.
7.1 Offensive:
Attack type - mostly it's hero.
Attack cooldown - how long it takes before the hero attacks again (in seconds)
Damage base - Base damage for NoD and SoD
Number of Dice and Sides per Die - This is pretty hard to explain. Let's say the damage base is 49. The number of dice is 1 and the sides per die is 6. This means that in game, the hero will (on level 1) have 50-55 damage. If you maked it number of dice 6 and sides per die 20 it will be 55 - 74 damage.
I hope you understood what I ment by this.

*DarthFett:*
Damage Min:
Damage Base + Number of Dice
Damage Max:
Damage Base + (Number of Dice * Sides Per Die)
*Thanks*

For Maximum Number of Targets and Area of Effect please check other tutorials, I'm not so good at that :(
Projectile Art - if the hero is ranged, this will be what its "arrows" look like. If its not a projectile, and it is something like devotion aura, it means that once the archer starts the attack, the effect is invisible intill it reaches the enemy and then shows devotion aura for like 1 second...
Range - distance from how far you can attack enemies
Targets allowed - if the hero is a ranger, it is advived that he can attack air too.
Weapon Sound - what you hear when you attack.
Weapon type - gives extra damage on certain types (I thought)
7.2 Defensive:
Attacks enabled:
Attack 1 only - only everything with attack 1 before it
Attack 2 only - only everything with attack 2 before it
Both - random using (or when one only attacks ground and one only attacks air...)
None - well... none!
Defense base - amount of damage taken reduced
Defense Type - You might all know that theres different types... Magic attack does extra damage against heavy defense, siege attack does extra damage to fortified defense. As a hero it is adviced to use Hero defense.
Targeted as - normally it's ground. Those out there who like to put some odd stuff in there game can make it, ground+invulnerable or something. Or, air... Although I don't really now that much flying heroes.
Step 8: Abilities
8.1 Basic:
Ofcourse you were all waiting for this one... Hehehe. Well, actually, I'm only going to say a few things about this, since you have to check an ability tutorial if you want help in this area...
8.2 Balancing:
Abilities are the heroes special moves. A hero doesn't "have" to have them, but it is REALLY REALLY REALLY adviced he does, since heroes without them... They... Well... No one likes them, mostly. You have to keep abilities for your hero balanced. Like a warrior should have 1 offensive ability (spell), 1 passive ability, 1 aura and 1 selfstronger making ability (spell) wich lasts only for a short time, example: Avatar, Divine Shield, Frenzy, Berserk, StormEarthandFire.
A priest should have 2 healing spells, a aura and perhaps one aoe damage spell.
This is only just a basic setting for your hero. You can do it in whatever way you want, but if you want a nice hero, you have to balance it at least a little.
8.3 Unit Abilites:
Normally a hero should have a inventory, all heroes already have the inventory ability, but if you accidently removed it, you can add it again. Abilities - Normal : Inventory (Hero)
Some heroes have shadow meld or ultravision, these are also unit abilities. Unit abilities are almost the same as hero abilities, but the only difference is that they always only have 1 level.

9. Eight Steps to Heroic Heroes
1. Think of ideas
2. Create new unit
3. Change model and icons
4. Change stats
5. Change name and text stuff
6. Change combat stuff
7. Create and change abilities
8. Have fun with your hero!

I'm sorry if there's any spelling mistakes, and please DON'T give critisizes about Why a tutorial about heroes? I already new all this and that and this and that... Well, then just don't read my tutorial...
Okay thanks for reading and... Please give some nice critisizes and maybe ideas or other stuf... Huh, finally I finished my first tutorial. :rolleyes:

>Quauhtli<

Latest Update: 9:11
Thank you all who replied for info and some changes
[/SIZE]

J

Joowna

Its nice, if your very new in World Editor you can learn much of this!

+rep

Rabarber

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Sorry to blame you, but i created another tutorial with the exact same theme six months ago.

Quauhtli

Reaction score
sorry, didnt know that... :eek: ive also only created an account on TheHelper since like 3 weeks ago

M

Mythic Fr0st

hmmm

good tut ^_^, slightly bliding, but all good ^_^

Duwenbasden

Ver 6 CREATE energy AS SELECT * FROM u.energy
Reaction score
>Speedy Devil: 390-400

The max speed is 522.

Remember kids, in abilities, the keyword in this tutorial is "should", not "require"; so you don't have to follow the guidelines. Make the abilities combination in anyway you like (within reason, eg. 4 auras for a spellcaster is bad).

SilverHawk

General Iroh - Dragon of the West
Reaction score
Very good job on the information, but consider spacing it out into paragraphs to make it easier on the eyes.

Excellent work! :D

Tonks

Reaction score
Rabarber said:
Sorry to blame you, but i created another tutorial with the exact same theme six months ago.
"Blame"? Blame for what, exactly? It's not bad to have two tutorials with the same theme, because people forget things or don't know things that others do.

This is a good tutorial, and I think it covers all the mandatory things for making a good hero :)
You explain the Object editor value fields well.

+rep

uberfoop

~=Admiral Stukov=~
Reaction score
Theres a lot of biased stuff in that tut that really usualy doesnt work out well from my experience.

Like a warrior should have 1 offensive ability (spell), 1 passive ability, 1 aura and 1 selfstronger making ability (spell) wich lasts only for a short time, example: Avatar, Divine Shield, Frenzy, Berserk, StormEarthandFire.
Thats soooo not true. A warrior should ahve whatever fits them, really. Leto Atreides II in ToB has a passive which makes him take less dmg (hardened skin basically), a passive which makes him deal aoe dmg (like a pitlord lawl!), an ability that makes him do an uber fast extremely good-looking tele-shockwave, and a spell that makes him go invis and at his location basically have a mini stampede of blademaster shimmering animations. It all looks great and is pretty well balanced.

A hero with avatar, divine sheild, frenzy, and berserk would stack to make the most BSingly imba hero ever. Seriously, massive extra HP, hella attack speed, a damage increase, and, through that, a bit of invincibnility?

V

VG Emblem

uberfoop said:
A hero with avatar, divine sheild, frenzy, and berserk would stack to make the most BSingly imba hero ever. Seriously, massive extra HP, hella attack speed, a damage increase, and, through that, a bit of invincibnility?
I think he was giving examples of "selfstronger making ability (spell) wich lasts only for a short time", but I could be wrong.

Quauhtli

Reaction score
VG Emblem said:
I think he was giving examples of "selfstronger making ability (spell) wich lasts only for a short time", but I could be wrong.
i whas, yes
anyways, this tutorial whas just for all those out there wich arnt really good with heroes yet. and im gonna add some stuff to it soon i think.
maybe paragraphs yes

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
If you format it a little better we will move it over to the Repository.

WuHT

Reaction score
yes teach us the secrets of making heroes!!

Problem is, aside from TD maps, i'm one of the few Hero=useless maps. :) gj regardless.

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Good tutorial!

Although I've been using WE for some time, this still helped me a bit :p
My piece of advice is: Spell Check.

Copy this into Microsoft Word (or something) and correct spellings

Darthfett

Aerospace/Cybersecurity Software Engineer
Reaction score
Very nice. You may want to put HOW the damage is calculated:

Damage Min:
Damage Base + Number of Dice

Damage Max:
Damage Base + (Number of Dice * Sides Per Die)

And you said Damage min is equal to Damage base, but it's not.

Also:

ADVICED, or edit an excisting hero NOT ADVIDED

I think you mean

(RECOMMENDED), or edit an existing hero (NOT RECOMMENDED)

Also, an ability section would be really nice. :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.