Tutorial Making MUI spells in GUI

Flare

Stops copies me!
Reaction score
Thanks. I've added another demo map. It's the meteor shower spell, but it uses the starfall's built-in explosion effect rather than thunder clap. It looks a bit more natural (except for the fact that the explosion is about 3 or 4 times larger than the star xD). DL the 'meteor shower update' map for the starfall explosion and the 'meteor shower' map for the thunder clap FX

U are a noob

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I've added another demo map. It's the meteor shower spell, but it uses the starfall's built-in explosion effect rather than thunder clap. It looks a bit more natural (except for the fact that the explosion is about 3 or 4 times larger than the star xD). DL the 'meteor shower update' map for the starfall explosion and the 'meteor shower' map for the thunder clap FX

You should change your index to 8191 instead of 1000.

Sil3nt

SUP?
Reaction score
Code:
    Unit - Create 1 Dummy Unit for (Owner of Caster[CustomValue]) at temppt facing Default building facing degrees
Im not sure what your spell is doing but when i did it i made the owner to neutral passive because the dummy was attacking my target.
What you could add-
A brief description of what he spell does in the post because i was puzzled on what the spell was suppose to do.

Question - Probably a dumb question but..If a spell is mui, does this mean that, by default, it is mpi?

Flare

Stops copies me!
Reaction score
1)did you disable the dummy units attacks? I may have forgotten to do so in the demo map ^^ giving the unit to neutral passive shouldnt be a problem anyway unless you ever need the dummy to cast a spell

2)i did describe what the spell does in the post

Basically, an ability that rains down meteors (starfall FX) every 0.75 seconds (periodic event), dealing damage upon impact (wait avoidance).

or is that not very explanatory?

3)ahm, it should be. i dont think its possible to make a spell MUI for only 1 player (unless you go the long way around).

T

Tubba

Well, you COULD refer to "Player 1 - Red" instead of a proper function, but that's just really, really, stupid.

Sil3nt

SUP?
Reaction score
did you disable the dummy units attacks? I may have forgotten to do so in the demo map ^^ giving the unit to neutral passive shouldnt be a problem anyway unless you ever need the dummy to cast a spell

Hmm when i made the dummies attack None it still attacked, and i could hear the sounds. I just changed it to neutral passive. They can cast spells on both allied and enemy. Doesnt matter its just something small =/

Basically, an ability that rains down meteors (starfall FX) every 0.75 seconds (periodic event), dealing damage upon impact (wait avoidance).
Guess i didnt see that.

I also just made 2 spells, a single target and a aoe spell which are both working properly and mui using this tutorial as a reference. Damn this tut so useful, thx for writing it.

Sil3nt

SUP?
Reaction score
Hm i have another question about the triggers.
When your creating dummy custom value units for reference and adding/removing them from the dummygroup, will that leak?

Reflexar

Reaction score
just one questions. can i make multiple spells using the variables created for the first one without having them interuppt each other's actions?

Flare

Stops copies me!
Reaction score
ahm, you mean something like:
Spell1 uses variables Caster, Target, Damage
Spell2 uses the same variables and their arrays

if thats what you mean, it would worrk perfectly fine, but i wouldnt advise it with long-duration spells (if the skills effects occur over a perioid of 0 (instant) to 3 seconds, it shouldnt make a difference since the array values will be recycled before the array limit is reached.

or, just increase the custom value condition (FCV less than 1000, you can change that to FCV less than 2000) and increase the array size of all your variables so you have 2000 instances between a group of spells.

in short, each spells instance wont interrupt another instance of the spell as long as no more than (array size) instances are occuring at the same time.

Reflexar

Reaction score
i'm using the spell for an ORPG, means only 1 hero for each player will maximum use the spell.

so i'll use the variables for other spells then

Reflexar

Reaction score
i wonder what this action is for:

Set Spell_CurrentTime[Spell_TempInteger] = (Spell_CurrentTime[Spell_TempInteger] + 1.00)

and how do i change the duration of the dot ?

Flare

Stops copies me!
Reaction score
that action just replaces a timer. every time the trigger fires, you increase the variable by the periodic events time (which would be roughly 1 second for MOST DoT spells). this just simulates a normal timer, but it saves on trying to figure out which timer expires (since there could be up to 1000 or 2000) and and it keeps alot of the actions within one trigger so you dont have to repeatedly go through unit groups in separate triggers.

to change the duration of the DoT, just create a real variable (if you havent already done so) with a never-changing value (e.g. 10 seconds, or 5x Ability Level). when your current duration variable is greater than or equal to your max duration variable, set any unit variables to No Unit, any reals and integers (that use an array) to 0 and then remove the dummy unit, using Unit - Remove Picked Unit (NEVER ADD NORMAL INGAME UNITS TO THE GROUP, THE GROUP IS -ONLY- FOR DUMMIES). you will need separate dummy unit groups though.

BTW, the firebolt demo map i used isnt great since buffchecks can be awkward i.e. 2 units cast the spell. once first firebolt hits, both damage actions will take place since the trigger only checks if the unit has a buff before dealing the damage. itll result in early damage dealt by the second unit. can be rectified by using dummy projectiles which are harder to do and possibly laggy

Also, still waiting for a mod/admin to come take a look-see ^^

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.