US News Massachusetts: Cape Cod man learns weeks after buying new home he doesn’t own part of it

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
SANDWICH, Mass. — Bob Angelini is about to be out in the cold, literally.

He's nearly out of propane -- the fuel used to heat and cook at his newly built Cape Cod house -- but says he can't get anyone to refill the propane tank. That's due to a heated dispute about who owns it.

And his story raises important questions for homebuyers everywhere.

"We've been running the house at 60 [degrees] during the day and 55 at night trying to hold on to the propane," Angelini said. I've got "somewhere between a week and 10 days at most."

Angelini closed on his home last July. At the time, he says there was no discussion or any disclosures about the propane tank. But several weeks later, he got a letter out of the blue from Dunlap's Propane in Plymouth. The letter is dated Aug. 25 -- six weeks after he closed on the property -- and says the tank belongs to Dunlap's. It also says Angelini must only purchase propane from them, and if the tank ever has to be dug up, he has to pay for it.

"I called [Dunlap's] and said, 'Who are you? I don't have an agreement with you,'" Angelini said. In response, he says Dunlap's told him they had an agreement with the builder about retaining ownership of the propane tank.

A huge spaghetti of a story, and a frustrating one for the homeowner.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.