US News Massachusetts: Pet DNA company sends back dog breed results from human sample a second time

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
BOSTON - Have you ever wondered how accurate those pet DNA tests are? The WBZ I-Team put dog breed tests to the test, and it wasn't the first time some very surprising results came back.

"I personally do have concerns about the fact that, from a consumer standpoint, you don't always know what you're getting when you work with those companies," said Elinor Karlsson, who's a geneticist with the Broad Institute and UMass Chan Medical School. "There's not a lot of rules in this space."

Karlsson runs a lab called Darwin's Ark, digging into pet DNA science. It's an industry on track to be worth $723 million by 2030, according to Zion Market Research.

Last year, the I-Team checked up on commercial DNA testing companies, sending a sample from New Hampshire pet owner Michelle Leininger's human cheek to a company called DNA My Dog. The results showed she was part bulldog. Leininger joked, "some people would agree with that at times, but no, no," she said.

Last edited by a moderator:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.