US News McDonald's faces hot coffee litigation again

Inflicted

Currently inactive
Reaction score
Actually the ones by where we live are really nice, There is one in the walmart and one right out side the base.
But in all retrospect they could be trained to be that way cause they deal with a lot of the military families here.

Ah, well its not the same where I'm at. Minimal wages, sales people dont really care too much.
Then again, you know what they say about Africa...

Danny Cross

Bunny
Reaction score
CAMELCASE said:
I'd expect the kid is smart enough to handle it

Shes four shrs not going to know better.....at that age they do as told and she thought grandma said get more

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
Policy is to secure the lid. Says lid was not secure.

When I worked there, that wasn't actually company policy. It was expected, but there wasn't any actual rule saying you had to do it. Nor is not serving coffee to minors... if you're 15 and want coffee, they're not going to stop you. Typically I wouldn't give it to a little kid (I think the age is like 13, but not really sure. I never had reason to look it up), either, but it's not uncommon for a parent to send their child for something, and assuming whoever was working the counter noticed the girl leave the table with her grandmother sitting there (which they probably did), there isn't any reason NOT to give it to them. Who am I to tell you that you can't let your kid carry coffee? Any moron could infer she's taking it back to her grandmother. And those lids are kind of hard to tell if they aren't on right or not, and you don't handle it by the lid, I mean they're about as cheap as you can get. Plus once you put really hot coffee into it, it deforms so you might think it's on but it's not. After you do several thousand times, you don't fucking sit there and check every last one to ensure it's properly on there. And I don't even think they have cardboard holders anymore. Not that they help very much... and would have done nothing in this situation; the one I go to doesn't, something about a new cup. But every cup says CAUTION HOT anyway.

And in my experience, they most likely were plenty nice enough and probably even told the kid that it was hot. Little kid ran off, maybe tripped over something and spilled it on themselves. Parents/grandmother is one of those types that doesn't go "Oh well, shit happens," but is the kind that blame everyone else for everything they can, so they sue. Maybe the employee should have walked it over to the table, but that's well beyond what one can expect. There's a lot of other shit to do there.

camelCase

The Case of the Mysterious Camel.
Reaction score
In general, I really would expect the kid to know better. It was an accident and a pretty sad one but suing McDonald's over it is kinda' dumb.
Doesn't matter if she's four; who am I to say, "Oh, you're four, you must be too stupid to handle coffee". If she really was sent to get coffee and was told "No", maybe McDonald's would get sued for not serving a customer =P

Being four doesn't mean you're too dumb to handle hot beverages; like Varine said, she probably ran and tripped or something. Just an accident.

Danny Cross

Bunny
Reaction score
In general, I really would expect the kid to know better. It was an accident and a pretty sad one but suing McDonald's over it is kinda' dumb.
Doesn't matter if she's four; who am I to say, "Oh, you're four, you must be too stupid to handle coffee". If she really was sent to get coffee and was told "No", maybe McDonald's would get sued for not serving a customer =P

Being four doesn't mean you're too dumb to handle hot beverages; like Varine said, she probably ran and tripped or something. Just an accident.
My opinion is still you see a child you shouldor have someone bring it to table, that way you prevent that accident and you dont refuse the customer

This might be cause im a mother too though.

Varine

Reaction score
My opinion is still you see a child you shouldor have someone bring it to table, that way you prevent that accident and you dont refuse the customer

This might be cause im a mother too though.

There was absolutely no reason for them not to have given it to them. Do you hold your kid's cup if you give him tea or hot chocolate for them? I doubt it: if you do you're probably going to make that child overly dependent on you, which is a very, very bad thing. It's just as hot, but you don't just not give it to them because they might burn themselves. The central issue everyone seems to be having isn't that they gave them a hot beverage: if it was hot chocolate the question of whether or not they should have given it to the kid wouldn't even be on the table even though they would have been hurt just as badly. But it was COFFEE, with a pretty low caffeine amount by the way, which for some reason is changing everyone's concept of right and wrong because it's not typical for a kid to have it.

Danny Cross

Bunny
Reaction score
There was absolutely no reason for them not to have given it to them. Do you hold your kid's cup if you give him tea or hot chocolate for them? I doubt it: if you do you're probably going to make that child overly dependent on you, which is a very, very bad thing. It's just as hot, but you don't just not give it to them because they might burn themselves. The central issue everyone seems to be having isn't that they gave them a hot beverage: if it was hot chocolate the question of whether or not they should have given it to the kid wouldn't even be on the table even though they would have been hurt just as badly. But it was COFFEE, with a pretty low caffeine amount by the way, which for some reason is changing everyone's concept of right and wrong because it's not typical for a kid to have it.
I would handle it first to make sure its not too hot, thats part of a parents job.
there is nothing wrong with a child depending on you so they dont get hurt. ?..I'm talking under the age of 6 kids, by 6 or 7 they understand the concept of too hot in my opinion. Most four year olds might be able to read the caution lable but not understand it....

Varine

Reaction score
Well once they burn themselves they should learn pretty damn quick.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.