WIP [Minigame]Cat & Mouse-like game

LurkerAspect

Now officially a Super Lurker
Reaction score
Hi again :D

This time I'm interested in doing a small, quick, fun game that can be enjoyable online or on your own. I want to put my own creative twist on a classic game that is hopefully enjoyable to those who play it.

The basics:
The game consists of two teams, one significantly larger than the other. These are the 'cats', and they have to chase down and kill a large group of 'mice'. However, if the mice work together and use their abilities strategically, a group of them can kill a cat with relative ease. As is expected, it's quite simple for a cat to kill a mouse. See? Simple concept.

What's different in my game:
  • Mice are permanently invisible. They cannot be seen while roaming the map, even with spies and sentry wards. However, all cats have a small detection radius, that can be increased by abilities or through items.
  • Critters are like powerups for both sides. Coming across a critter will yield benefits for the player that finds and 'collects' it.
  • When a cat finds a critter, they level up, giving access to more abilities and strengthening their avatar.
  • When a mouse collects a critter, it can be used to copy the mouse that collects it.
  • Whenever a critter is collected, there is a delay before it is replaced.
  • Whenever a mouse is killed by a cat, it creates a critter. Whenever a cat is killed, it will create a number of critters relative to it's current level.
  • Mice have a small arsenal of abilities that they can use to escape, watch the cats with, trap or stun cats, and each type of mouse has a unique ultimate ability, which increases their power for a few precious seconds when activated. While not very useful individually, if an entire group of mice attack a cat and all activate it at once, it can be very effective.
  • Cats have abilities which allow them to set spies, which don't detect mice, but keep watch over an area in case any appear to recharge.
  • Mice have to transform into an alternate, visible, immobile form in order to recharge their mana, or stand near a pool of mana near either corner of the map. This gives them a definite weakness against the cats, and maintains their place as the hunted, not the hunters.
  • Cats and mice can choose what speciality they want to have (for example, a mouse with abilities based on illusion or trapping or evasion, and cats with speciality at creating barriers etc)

The Map:
The map is not decided upon yet. My initial ideas are for a maze, with plenty of dead ends and sneaky hidey-holes and shortcuts, to add to the excitement of the chase. However, I've also considered forests, icey caves, dungeons etc.

This is really just an advertisement of a potential WIP, but if anyone feels like helping (I'm not expecting any) then feel free to post. (But keep in mind you need to offer me something special, something I can't do on my own.)

Any suggestions on mouse/cat types, map ideas, abilities, mechanics or whatever is appreciated! Also, any feedback on the format of my project advertisement is well-received as well.

Disclaimer:
Although this is a fairly common and unoriginal idea to post here on this forum, I would rather receive constructive criticism than have people shouting down my ideas. :thup:

Gtam

Lerning how to write and read!! Yeah.
Reaction score
Haha. Cat ability. Name mouse trap. If a mouse walks on the trap it gets stuck until another mouse helps it

LurkerAspect

Now officially a Super Lurker
Reaction score
You know, that sounds dumb, but it's actually a decent idea I hadn't thought of...

+rep for helpful insight (and being South African)

Gtam

Lerning how to write and read!! Yeah.
Reaction score
Cool. If you need any original ideas in an unoriginal way just ask.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.