My Return

Shadowy Fear

I have returned
Reaction score
I'm not dead after all, it seems.

Only members who have been here a while (2 years at least, I think) will remember me. For those who I didn't talk to much but were around at the same time, I was the naive young kid who was always throwing out random (and occasionally interesting or helpful) ideas to people [I was also very veribose and used lots of parentheses, as I remember]. A few people knew me better, though I usually kept walls up around myself.

For those friends whom I left without a word - I'm sorry I didn't say anything. I had intended to make some kind of farewell address or keep in contact, but - it's a long story.

My memory is fuzzy on the details. Essentially, I realized that Warcraft III (particularly the World Editor) was eating up my life. Several times I tried to control it, but I could never really escape its influence. I didn't have the experience or knowledge to break out of the cycle. I only had occasional flashes of clear-headedness that let me see the addiction I had fallen into, before unwillingly plunging into the dark fog again.

After several iterations of this, I finally realized the solution. So
- WARNING - You may wish to sit down for this -
one day I snapped my Warcraft III game disk in half, threw away the pieces, and cut all ties to Warcraft. Those ties included this community - in fact, they revolved around this community. So I stopped posting, responding to messages, coming to the site at all, etc. (Again, my memory is unclear on this, so feel free to post your own memories or impressions) I think the process had already started before I snapped my disk, but afterwards it progressed very rapidly. Eventually I only checked in on the website every few months.

I basically grew up during the interval while I was away, especially last year. I still play video games (every 6 months I feel like I'm too attached to some of them and purge them all from my computer) but they're much less a part of my life than they once were. I'm relatively happy (or at least content) with my life and my direction, and feel much more balanced as a person.

I've been thinking about rejoining the community since at least last spring. Inertia mostly kept me away. But I have 2 specific reasons for returning now:
~I have World of Warcraft now, and thus can actually relate with and help the site again, and;
~I miss the community and my old friends. I've also become a lot more mature than I was, and I feel like I never resolved this.

With [all of] that said, I wish to return. I'm still unsure about 80% of this, though, so let me know what you think/how you're doing/etc. With regards,
~Tim (formerly known as Shadowy Fear)

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
If you are playing WoW this is just a pitstop. You will be breaking that CD in a few months when you awake from the daze that is WoW addiction.

ArmedCitizen

Kisses Cats
Reaction score
I'm afraid I have the same issue as you do when it comes to video games. The difference is I embrace it because I got nothing else to do. :p

Welcome back and hope you don't dive so far in you leave this great site again.

Sim

Forum Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Many things happened here on TH.net, and I hope it is still satisfying for you even after all this time.

Welcome back :)

Shadowy Fear

I have returned
Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome : ).
If you are playing WoW this is just a pitstop. You will be breaking that CD in a few months when you awake from the daze that is WoW addiction.
Lol, probably true. But I'm wiser this time around (plus I can download the game client for free from the internet anyway, and its easy enough to get serial codes, so no nee to break the [6] CD's).
There's always some new game (or old) that I'll be interested in, the trick is in balancing my life so that I don't have to completely purge everything first. I still miss the World Editor a lot at times, it was a very good creative tool for a young kid learning about the world. The problem was that I had all of these crazy, sometimes brilliant ideas, but never had the skill or more importantly the dedication to follow through. It was always just conceptual; as soon as I had a new idea of any kind I would try to make a map out of it. So I never got anywhere or improved my skills but was always mildly entertained. I'm looking forward to trying map editing anew with Starcraft II, though. Any word on how powerful the map editor for it will be?

Aqua Dragon

I'm made of water. Remember that now.
Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome : ). Lol, probably true. But I'm wiser this time around (plus I can download the game client for free from the internet anyway, and its easy enough to get serial codes, so no nee to break the [6] CD's).
There's always some new game (or old) that I'll be interested in, the trick is in balancing my life so that I don't have to completely purge everything first. I still miss the World Editor a lot at times, it was a very good creative tool for a young kid learning about the world. The problem was that I had all of these crazy, sometimes brilliant ideas, but never had the skill or more importantly the dedication to follow through. It was always just conceptual; as soon as I had a new idea of any kind I would try to make a map out of it. So I never got anywhere or improved my skills but was always mildly entertained. I'm looking forward to trying map editing anew with Starcraft II, though. Any word on how powerful the map editor for it will be?

Hi, welcome back. I think I've seen a few of your olds posts maybe.

Anyways, word is that the SC2 world editor is going to be more powerful then the War3 world editor. Soudns awsome huh? :D

DM Cross

You want to see a magic trick?
Reaction score
Yo, dawg o_O

AceHart

Your Friendly Neighborhood Admin
Reaction score
> hope to see you active around here

I guess you missed the part where he said he has WoW now... he won't show up here any time soon.
We "lost" so many members to WoW it's not even funny anymore...

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Welcome back to earth. :)
... There he goes again.

I've lost a few friends on B.net because of WoW myself ¬_¬

Shadowy Fear

I have returned
Reaction score
Has WoW really had that much of an impact? I guess that makes sense ... When I destroyed my Warcraft III CD I never even considered joining WoW. But I came back here more for the community than anything else.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.