US News National Park Service warns against sacrificing slower friends in bear attack, "even if friendship has run its course."

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
There are a few potential reactions to being attacked by a bear – stand your ground and attempt to scare it off, run away or perhaps curl up into the fetal position and hope for the best.

The US government has now, however, officially advised against the most cowardly option: pushing over a slower friend to save yourself.

The National Park Service has warned against sacrificing another person to an irate bear “even if you think the friendship has run its course” in a rather informal set of recommendations posted on Facebook.

Bear attacks are a rare but real threat in parts of the US, with a man recently videoing his own mangled hand and arm after encountering a grizzly bear in an abandoned shed in Montana. In a separate incident this week, wildlife officials in Alaska killed four bears suspected of involvement in the death of a man who was mauled while clearing a trail behind his property.

Read more here. (The Guardian UK)

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
FOUR bears? How badass was this guy that it took FOUR bears they had to kill?

Also if I can attest to the sideways thing. I think the idea is that coming more forward can be attributed to aggression and attack, and going back is a recognition of being a threat, where it's like I don't want to fight right now but would if I could. So still a threat. Whereas sideways is like I'll go ahead and leave you your due space.

If you're getting attacked by four bears though, idk gl. Apparently you'll be avenged.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    I really do not want to move to California otherwise I might consider it.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    yeah California is not anywhere you really want to live
  • The Helper The Helper:
    That is why I did not take the job Blizzard offered me back in the day, there is no way I could have moved my family there on what they were offering, not even close and that was like 20 years ago
  • The Helper The Helper:
    yeah they wanted me on the tech support team when they did not get me they got one of the next MVPs in Dinobot
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Dinobot was one of the youngest of the MVPs tkron probably could have worked for Blizzard but he had a good job in Chicago doing business programming already
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Dinobot probably still works for Blizzard would love to reconnect with that guy
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I wonder what ever happened to Wargasm?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    This new version of Xenforo really is awesome
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Wargasm is still around. He works for the domain registrar where thehelper.net is kept.
  • Varine Varine:
    Is sqrage still around?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I have not seen him on lately the forum says he was last on 2 years ago
  • The Helper The Helper:
    How are you doing Varine have not seen you around in a minute
  • thewrongvine thewrongvine:
    lol I live in CA
    I've got some friends in animation department who have been applying for Blizzard, doing interviews and such. They said the workplace seems nice, though now it'd be all remote work I suppose
  • The Helper The Helper:
    good for them I live close to Austin and am trying to get my kids interested in getting into Games but not having much luck. I would never let them move to Cali.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    unless it was huge money
  • The Helper The Helper:
    and even then with the taxes I really could never let them move there
    Haha fair enough, I have no interest in CA at all as a living place either. Really only here just for the work in LA, but hopefully once I get settled enough in my work, I can move out
    +1
  • Ghan Ghan:
    +1
  • jonas jonas:
    " a traditionally-sized California family of one person ":cool:
    +1

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop