Need a Gaming Monitor

Nenad

~Choco Coronet~ Omnomnom
Reaction score
My monitor has outlived it's purpose and is dying (it has problems starting up, peeps like crazy and gets weird flickering.)

I need a new, decent gaming monitor. The size doesn't matter, as long as it's 23 inches or more. The price range is up to 350$, although i could probably spare another 50$. I've been looking around everywhere and I just can't decide. Quality is more important than size. If anyone has one that they can recommend that would be great.:thup:

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
you don't need such an expensive monitor for gaming, but if you want my opinion, the dell IPS monitors are the best monitors by far - but those are more for people who use photoshop/etc. and need very accurate color reproduction

MrBrooks

Brooooooooooown!
Reaction score
Hello Nenad,

For a gaming I would never recommend above a 28" monitor. As you reach the 30"+ categories you won't get as good as colour reproduction, plus you'd be moving your head side-to-side a lot if you're using, for example, a 36" LCD TV at a 5ft distance on your desk. I use a HANNS.G HZ221 which is great for gaming. It's 1680x1050, supports VGA* and DVI-D, 5ms response time and great colour reproduction. You needn't to get an expensive monitor.

Here's an Acer 23" HDMI monitor.

Read the details of it, and if you like it then you know what to do. Personally I'd buy it, it has everything you need.

*(NEVER use VGA for gaming, especially if you have a GFX card capable of DVI or HDMI)

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Just get something with 120hz or higher refresh rate.

MrBrooks

Brooooooooooown!
Reaction score
Just get something with 120hz or higher refresh rate.

You don't need a 120Hz refresh rate. That's 3D monitor territory, he's after a gaming monitor and didn't specify 3D. 60Hz is plentiful as it's what most gaming monitors use, unless they are 3D.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
I don't like LED monitors for computers, as none of them have well-done local lighting, but rather all of them have the LED's around the edges, causing the edges to be brighter and bleed white into the screen..

also, 120hz is overrated, and not necessary - 99% of them don't even accept 120hz input, so they guesstimate the 60fps that they can't receive input for, which really isn't helpful at all

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
You don't need a 120Hz refresh rate. That's 3D monitor territory, he's after a gaming monitor and didn't specify 3D. 60Hz is plentiful as it's what most gaming monitors use, unless they are 3D.

60Hz sucks... I play with a 60Hz monitor and it's terrible, you can always see horizontal refreshing in fast paced games.

If it's not refresh rate that causes that, then what is it? I'm probably misinformed.

MrBrooks

Brooooooooooown!
Reaction score
60Hz sucks... I play with a 60Hz monitor and it's terrible, you can always see horizontal refreshing in fast paced games.

If it's not refresh rate that causes that, then what is it? I'm probably misinformed.

I use a 1680x1050 60Hz monitor and I can't see the horizontal refreshing. I play fast paced games such as BFBC2, CoD and StarCraft II, but I can never see the horizontal refreshing.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score

are you actually getting 60 FPS from your computer? (like if you use fraps, can your computer handle sending 60 frames per second?)

your eyes see around 30-40 FPS, so as long as it never dips below 45 or so, you shouldn't have any issues, and even then, only when it does dip down to those levels is where you might see the screen refreshing

i suppose it could also be some interference if it's from a VGA cable, but that is less likely

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.