Need help creating a spell.

Ishida

Reaction score
well, i've started messing with jass.. but my only problem is i'm not sure how to make a skill use the JASS script.

Would you mind explaining that?

http://www.thehelper.net/forums/show...ghtning-Cannon

I took this skill just to learn, now i'm trying to figure out how to get it working in the ability editor, because i dont see a way to call JASS in the ability editor.

Possibly i'm not fully understanding. But how would i get this to work.

vypur85

Hibernate
Reaction score
> i can't import them into my new map without losing all of my triggers.

You don't import them. You have to copy and paste them one by one. To make life easier, collect all triggers into one 'Category' and then copy the category to your map. All the triggers within the category will be copied. Make sure you set 'Automatically create variable' in the File>Preference section of your editor.

A good triggerer would make life easier for you. They will usually globalise any Object Editor materials. You just need to create the object (unit or dummies or abilities) in the Object Editor and then set them into the global variable in the trigger. That's all. Rather simple.

> I've never used the spell editor before

You can start off by doing something simple. Such as... Blink Strike. As the unit cast spell, move the unit to the target and cause damage.

Code:
Event
 Starts the effect of an ability
Ability
 Ability being cast Equal to YourWhatEverTargetedAbility
Actions
 Unit - Move (Triggering unit) to Position of (Target ability being cast)
 Unit - Damage Target... (You do the rest...)

I've never seen kamehameha before in WC3 version. I believe it involves periodic movement of a specific dummy unit.

Ishida

Reaction score
well, i've started messing with jass.. but my only problem is i'm not sure how to make a skill use the JASS script.

Would you mind explaining that?

http://www.thehelper.net/forums/showthread.php/113342-Lightning-Cannon

I took this skill just to learn, now i'm trying to figure out how to get it fully working

EDIT::

would it be

Event
Starts the effect of an ability
Ability
Ability being cast Equal to YourWhatEverTargetedAbility
Actions
Custom Script ( blabla)

vypur85

Hibernate
Reaction score
Sorry. I don't do JASS.

Get some GUI spells and learn them. At least know some basis of triggering commands before you dwell into JASS.

vypur85

Hibernate
Reaction score
There is nothing wrong with waits if you use them correctly. Ignore those bitched comments.
Not all triggers require waits.
And using JASS instead of GUI does not mean you can use waits just like that without having problems.

Now create your own trigger and if you face any problem, post and ask. As I mentioned, start off with some basic triggers.

If you need something 'bullet-like', just browse through 'Modern Warfare Weaponary'. It has all the periodic whatnot for you to play with.

Ishida

Reaction score
Alright, thank you. I just need to find out how to hit everything in between point A and point B.. but im hoping that can be done with a loop

vypur85

Hibernate
Reaction score
> I just need to find out how to hit everything in between point A and point B

For instant hit, look at Landmine in my map. For bullet movement across time... just use the preset ability, Shockwave.

Ishida

Reaction score
How do i make it check the level of the skill in the trigger editor?

Like, if skills is level one, do this much, if level two, do that much

KaerfNomekop

Swim, fishies. Swim through the veil of steel.
Reaction score
It's an Integer Condition, Level of Ability for Unit. Put it in an If/Then/Else block. But I would suggest you use Level of Ability for Unit as part of a formula, if you don't have actions unique to a certain level.

GFreak45

I didnt slap you, i high 5'd your face.
Reaction score
to elaborate on what Kaerf said, dont use an if then else, convert it to a real and do the math, ie: lvl deals 40 lvl 2 deals 70 lvl 3 deals 100,
thats Real(Level of (Ability) for (Unit) x 30) + 10
then you know if you make a lvl 4, it will deal 130, lvl 5 will deal 160, etc... its all simple arithmetic and a little bit of algebra but its easy to formulate spells to the point where you can just add levels without adding a ton of other stuff to your triggers, dont do this:
Trigger:
  • Actions
    • If then else
      • If (Conditions)
        • Level of ability cast is equal to 1
      • Then (Actions)
        • Unit - Damage Target unit of ability cast for 40 damage
      • Else (Actions)
        • If then else
          • If (Conditions)
            • Level of Ability for Casting unit is equal to 2
          • Then (Actions)

there is no other way to put it, that ^ ... is wrong, the solution i posted above is the correct way to add damage or other effects to a skill

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.