need help on giving skill a "burning oil" effect

T

theflyNmonky

well, it goes like this:

i made a skill based off of Firebolt with AOE... big accomplishment for a loser like me... >.<

what i'm trying to make it do is leave behind something like Burning Oil or Flame Strike, to burn units after it detonates. I tried basing it off Flame Strike, alternatively, but I want it to target one specific unit and merely harm the units around it. Essentially, I want a skill that would be the equivalent to a Demolisher's regular attack without the "Attack Ground" function.

...if that makes any sense.

'-_-

XXXconanXXX

Cocktails anyone?
Reaction score
Umm whyd on't you jsut base the skill off Burning Oil? Second of all, to get the "Attack Ground" effect you must give the unit the "Combat - Attack 1 - Weapon type" Artillery. That feild can be found under the unit in the object editor.

T

theflyNmonky

it's not a unit attack or an effect on a hero's attack. well, imagine storm bolt and burning oil in one skill, that's essentially what i'm trying to do.

i'm not very good with words...

B

bobthefunny

What he wants, is a firebolt that leaves a burning oil when it hits, at the target's location.

T

theflyNmonky

yeah, that. thank you. i wish i was more articulate...

C

Cyclical

Well, I don't know exactly how to do that, but what immediately came to mind was the way that Meat Wagons spread disease cloud at their target locations.

Anyone know how that works? Maybe that could be useful... maybe not. I don't have WE in front of me or I'd check, but it sounds like you want to add a custom buff to your skill.

Or you could be like me, do it with triggers, and then have it not work :D

T

theflyNmonky

hm... triggers... not good with those. how do i use those to edit the abilities using triggers? i think that the helper's tutorial used to have some help on it, but i can't find it anymore.

Scam_ent

Reaction score
You can use triggers with events like "unit uses ability" and that sort of thing. Havn't tried it myself, but it shouldn't be too hard.

- ][ocus

T

theflyNmonky

well, yeah, i know... but i can't figure out how to work them. like i tried this setup (ps: my skill is called "Big Missle")

Events
Unit - A unit learns a skill

Conditions
(Learned Hero Skill) Equal to Big Missle

Actions
*too many failed attempts to place*

The events and conditions are right, i think, but i can't get an action to work properly. Anyone know the action that should go next, or, if needed, what action should go next and what conditions/events need to be changed?

B

bobthefunny

Try something like:

E
-Unit casts a spell
C
-spell is big missle
A
-Do <this> to targeted unit.

C

Cyclical

Or even better, to avoid trigger confusion, you could simply make a custom buff that's what you want. Next make an effect which activates that buff. Then, the trigger goes as follows:

E
-A unit begins {effect of Big Missile}
C
A
-Apply {your buff} to "(Targeted Unit)

I can't tell you exactly what it'll be, because I haven't got WE on this computer. But that is one way you could do it.

T

theflyNmonky

thanks for the replies.

well, i'm starting an alternate route:

i made a copy of Big Missle, and made another ability called Fire Effect, which works like Flame Strike without the pillar of fire in the beginning (meaning that when it's cast, the ground burns mildly)

is it possible to link Big Missle and Fire Effect together via trigger, so that when Big Missle hits the target the Fire Effect is created at that point?

B

bobthefunny

thats what the trigger I put up does, though what I was aiming for was cyclical's.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.