Nets on characters

Toggar

Reaction score
Howdy folks, Im very new to using world editor, and am hoping that someone will be able to spare some time to answer a question or two.

I am attempting make a quest where you are rescuing a character. The character is an Neutral Passive female villager.

I was hoping there was a way to have her trapped in a net (kinda like the orc wolf rider ability, but it lasts indefinitely until the player destroys it) in the enemy encampment, and once you kill the bad guys, you can run over and attack the net to free her.

I feel like ive seen this done a few times.

Is there a way to do this?

T

TomTTT

Reaction score
It is pretty simple, you just need to do 1 of the 2:
1. If there is, check the Doodads pallete and see if there's a doodad you can place matching what you need.
2. In the trigger editor, in the initialization, simply create a special effect.
Trigger:
  • Set Point = (Position of UNIT)
    • Special Effect - Create a special effect at Point using Abilities\Spells\Orc\Ensnare\ensnareTarget.mdl
    • Set SpecialEffect = (Last created special effect)

Point = Point variable (obviously...)
UNIT = the position of the unit you want to place the special effect on.
SpecialEffect = A special effect variable (also, obviously..) meant for you to be able to destroy it once the unit is rescued.
The special effect is changeable, i just recommend using this.

skyblader

You're living only because it's illegal killing.
Reaction score
You can make the spell last indefinitely in the object editor (By that I mean 1 hour, not sure if the shift-click method allows forever). And you can remove the buff when the unit is ordered to attack the female villager/when all the monsters are down. All by trigger. Something like,

Event
A unit is issued an order targeting a unit
Condition
Targeted unit is ____
Order issued is attack
Actions
Remove buff from ____

Edit: Tom beat me to it. :p
At least this is another method..

Toggar

Reaction score
Thanks guys!

Whoa, talk about a timely response!

Thanks for the help, Im fairly useless with variables though... Dont understand them/how to use them at all.

Ya did remind me that there was a much simpler way of achieving the same goal. (your bit about finding a doodad) I took a standard cage doodad, and put it over a small region. then made a trigger with the event: destructible - cage dies.... action: Unit - create 1 timmy for neutral passive at center of region facing 315 deg.

and tada!

Thanks guys, someday Ill figure out all that fancy stuff you guys were talkin about eventually, for now, my editing skills consist of navigating drop down menus and icons lol.

t

TomTTT

Reaction score
Whoa, talk about a timely response!

Thanks for the help, Im fairly useless with variables though... Dont understand them/how to use them at all.

Ya did remind me that there was a much simpler way of achieving the same goal. (your bit about finding a doodad) I took a standard cage doodad, and put it over a small region. then made a trigger with the event: destructible - cage dies.... action: Unit - create 1 timmy for neutral passive at center of region facing 315 deg.

and tada!

Thanks guys, someday Ill figure out all that fancy stuff you guys were talkin about eventually, for now, my editing skills consist of navigating drop down menus and icons lol.

t
Glad it helped you, but my suggestion - learn variables. It may sound too much and confusing, but when you get the point, it's not. It's just like using Function. Helps a LOT and needed for a LOT. There is a tutorial for it in world-editor-help, thought acctually it didn't really helped me :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.