General New Genetically Modified Salmon Grows 3-Times Faster

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
The small bio-tech firm, AquaBounty Technologies Inc., has genetically engineered a salmon, which reaches an 8-pound market weight in just 18 months, compared to the 36 months normally required.

Dubbed "Frankenfish" by the firm's critics for creating an animal that grows almost three times faster than its natural counterpart, AquaBounty argues their genetically-engineered salmon is virtually the same as the North Atlantic salmon, which the new species is based after.

The firm inserted part of a gene from an ocean pout into the growth gene of a Chinook salmon. They then injected the combined genetic material into the fertilized egg of a North Atlantic salmon.

"This is a single gene and it's a salmon gene in a salmon," said Ronald Stotish, Chief Executive of AquaBounty.

Last edited:

Winterherz

Reaction score
Nothing new..

The fact is, 90% of raw packed proteins you find on supermarkets are GMO. chickens for e.g. are genetically modified to grow faster and have bigger breasts....tyson and smithfield are good example. tyson breeds it's chickens in dark ventilated houses, the chickens never see the sunlight.

And the result is, taken from the article
Broiler (meat) chickens, for example, have been bred to grow so rapidly that by the age of 6 weeks, 90% of these poor birds can no longer walk due to being so morbidly obese.

These companies control the farms = They control what you eat.

Corn is another, clever rearrangement of that small starchy kernel..to name a few you get
  • ketchup
  • cheese
  • batteries
  • peanut butter
  • salad dressings
  • coke
  • jelly
  • syrup
  • juice
  • charcoal
  • diapers
  • sweeteners
  • syrup
  • juice
  • everything in fastfood
  • any organic compound ending with -ose..sucrose,fructose......margarine, xanthum gum, ascorbic acid, maltodextrin,semolina and more... (check the ingredients on your food carton, it's surprising)
....That's why 30% of land base in the US are cornfields. And because the cost of corn is below production cost, it's the main food source for cows,chickens,pigs,fish. Corn is also gm to resist pesticides. But some chefs argue that grass fed beef gives better flavor.

We just don't notice or care because they are fda approved

That's why marketing terms like organic, grass fed and free range exist..

I'm a chef and this is my thought

SH4D0WS1N

Reaction score
the small bio-tech firm, aquabounty technologies inc., has genetically engineered a salmon, which reaches an 8-pound market weight in just 18 months, compared to the 36 months normally required.

Dubbed "frankenfish" by the firm's critics for creating an animal that grows almost three times faster than its natural counterpart

36/18=3?????

Sevion

The DIY Ninja
Reaction score
There's an all new thing called natural Salmon. It's really good, and takes only 36 months to grow to full size. It's epic.

Sui-cookie

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
There's an all new thing called natural Salmon. It's really good, and takes only 36 months to grow to full size. It's epic.

Woah, that sounds awesome. Except for that "natural" word.
What is that?
French?

thewrongvine

The Evolved Panda Commandant
Reaction score
Corn is another, clever rearrangement of that small starchy kernel..to name a few you get
  • ketchup
  • cheese
  • batteries
  • peanut butter
  • salad dressings
  • coke
  • jelly
  • syrup
  • juice
  • charcoal
  • diapers
  • sweeteners
  • syrup
  • juice
  • everything in fastfood
  • any organic compound ending with -ose..sucrose,fructose......margarine, xanthum gum, ascorbic acid, maltodextrin,semolina and more... (check the ingredients on your food carton, it's surprising)
....That's why 30% of land base in the US are cornfields. And because the cost of corn is below production cost, it's the main food source for cows,chickens,pigs,fish. Corn is also gm to resist pesticides. But some chefs argue that grass fed beef gives better flavor.
Yeah, like "The Informant!"
"Corn goes in one end, and profit comes out the other. Weird right?"

~Hai-Bye-Vine~

AnthraxXx

Reaction score
Nothing new..

The fact is, 90% of raw packed proteins you find on supermarkets are GMO. chickens for e.g. are genetically modified to grow faster and have bigger breasts....tyson and smithfield are good example. tyson breeds it's chickens in dark ventilated houses, the chickens never see the sunlight.

And the result is, taken from the article

These companies control the farms = They control what you eat.

• ketchup
  • cheese
  • batteries
  • peanut butter
  • salad dressings
  • coke
  • jelly
  • syrup
  • juice
  • charcoal
  • diapers
  • sweeteners
  • syrup
  • juice
  • everything in fastfood

We just don't notice or care because they are fda approved

That's why marketing terms like organic, grass fed and free range exist..

I'm a chef and this is my thought

If anyone is interested, watch the documentary "Food Inc" which explains Winterherz's post a bit more.

Also I was thinking the same thing SH4D0WS1N.

SineCosine

I'm still looking for my Tangent
Reaction score
As long as it..
1. Tastes good
2. Looks good
3. Has good nutritional values
4. Won't make me sick
5. Won't kill me

I'll eat it and not care about how it's made.

DDRtists

ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɹǝdns
Reaction score
As long as it..
1. Tastes good
2. Looks good
4. Won't make me sick
5. Won't kill me

This is exactly how I feel about this kind of thing. :thup:

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
"Injected genetic material" This sounds so delicious!

As long as it..
1. Tastes good
2. Looks good
4. Won't make me sick
5. Won't kill me

Don't forget, They don't always tell the whole truth. LOL

Dan

The New Helper.Net gives me great Anxiety... o.O;;
Reaction score
yeah... here's the thing...

manipulating a gene just makes for new blueprints. The fish now has a gene that pumps out some extra growth hormones that stimulate cell division sooner/faster. It is completely 100% "natural" since the fish is not fed or injected with any chemicals or hormones directly.

You might be able to find/argue that the increase in growth hormones could effect the nutritional value of the meat or produce proteins that could possibly effect the taste... but this really shouldn't be anything to be alarmed about. If anything, the fish it'self is just less healthy all around because of the extra stress that it's body puts on itself to grow quickly vs. developing regularly. But, then again we aren't raising pets...

SineCosine

I'm still looking for my Tangent
Reaction score
If I marinated a goldfish in the trunk of my car..
Is that animal abuse?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.