New to the World Editor

staticfrog

Reaction score
Hey, so I just joined this forum, and I have a question. If I learn to use warcraft III editor will I pretty much learn the basics of programming and learn how to make other games on different editors as well? I've always wanted to do programming but currently I'm just in highschool and I have no knowledge at all. I tried to make a game/fool around in warcraft III world editor but I understood nothing. I don't play DotA anymore but the desire to make a game is still there. So I stumbled upon this place. This seems like a great place to start, there are tutorials and hopefully friendly people to help me. So yeah, is world editor a good place to start?

Jindo

Self
Reaction score
Hello, staticfrog, welcome to TheHelper.net:

First of all, it is a good idea to title your posts with something more relevant to what you're discussing, you're new as you've said so don't worry about it this time.

With regards to your question: It's likely that in learning to use the World Editor you will find it easier to use other editors. In any case, the best to way to learn to use an application such as this is to keep fiddling with it, and if you're ever trying to achieve something or figure out how to get something to work or how to do something, definitely search these forums as a lot of questions have been answered and tutorials written here.

Finally, for programming, getting good at it is also an experience factor. At first you will find it difficult and confusing, but if you take the time to figure things out, programming languages become a lot easier to learn. Again, if you have questions about languages (in this case I'm going to assume JASS), these forums have covered all sorts of stuff on that too.

Hope this helps, if you have any further questions feel free to ask.

avalya

Reaction score
Welcome to thehelper, but unfortunately, using GUI (the standard graphical interface used for triggering in Warcraft 3) is simplified from the actual code, the JASS language, which I do believe most experienced map makers use nowadays (myself actually excluded), if you wish to learn coding, JASS might be a good way to do it (though, I'm not sure it's that similar to other languages, someone else should answer this since I'm not that familiar with them).

staticfrog

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply! Sorry about the thread title, and thanks. I do know that something like this is a learning experience and I'll just be doing this in my free time since it is somethingn I know. I tried learning programming at w3schools but to me it was just memorizing codes, which is a no no for me. I learn best from experience and this is a great way to start. I'll definetly use the search function so I'll try not to spam the forums.

skyblader

You're living only because it's illegal killing.
Reaction score
If you use GUI, you pretty much won't learn the programming language JASS that is similar to Javascript. Other editors really depend. If other editors are coded in languages, such as maple story and stuff, then learning JASS would be a very good start in learning other languages as well, or vice versa. Or so I've heard. But if the editors also use their own simplified stuff, like GUI in the World Editor, you'll learn more by fiddling around and going to forums for answers to your queries, like what Jindo has said.

And before I end off, welcome to Thehelper.net :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.