Newgen Virus???

LurkerAspect

Now officially a Super Lurker
Reaction score
Hi there :p

Just now I turned on my pc to a blaring message from bitdefender telling me that it blocked and quarantined NewgenWE! Is this normal, anyone else had this problem, is newgen actually that safe? Mind you, it is an older version from before 1.24...

vilaemail

Reaction score
I like to be sure that anything I run isn't a virus (too many times my Windows sank to the bottom). So I use Kaspersky. If you don't have one, don't be desperate, visit this link:

http://www.kaspersky.com/scanforvirus

Upload a file to their site and scan it. However not all viruses can be detected that way, because some of them may attempt a legal (non-virus operation) to do something "illegal" and to be safe from that you need advanced computer security software running on your computer.

Anyway I'll just go for this scan and if it reports nothing I would install it.

SerraAvenger

Cuz I can
Reaction score
NewGen uses trojan functionality to hack into normal WE. Any advanced Virus software would, hence, report JPNG as a "generic trojan".
If you want to be sure, use jasshelper manually. But to me JPNG never did any harm.

kingkingyyk3

Visitor (Welcome to the Jungle, Baby!)
Reaction score
Just set the exception in your anti-virus.
NewGen contains no virus.
Because of it's nature, anti-virus detected it as virus.

vilaemail

Reaction score
NewGen uses trojan functionality to hack into normal WE. Any advanced Virus software would, hence, report JPNG as a "generic trojan".
If you want to be sure, use jasshelper manually. But to me JPNG never did any harm.

I wasn't aware of that kind of functionality in that software.

LurkerAspect

Reaction score
I thought that were was a "virus-like" function in Newgen somewhere because it mentioned it in the help documentations, that it injects code into World Editor or WC3 and because of that it's identified as a virus by most anti-virus programs.

The problem is that I have used this particular newgen for a long time, but out of the blue bitdefender finally decided it was a virus a few days ago and quarantined it! Fortunately I'll be able to rescue it and add it to the exceptions list...

I just find it really odd that this just randomly happened.

Tyman2007

Ya Rly >.
Reaction score
What you see inside of Newgen is something called a false positive.

A false positive is a file that uses virus like activity in order to work like it's supposed to, but isn't doing anything truly malicious.

Seeing as how newgen will "Attach" itself to the world editor or change a files structure, an antivirus would pick that up as "Malicious". An anti-virus that picks up more false positives than regular viruses probably isn't a very good anti-virus (I'm talking to YOU norton!)

I suggest using an anti-virus such as AVG as a free one, and ESET Nod32 as a paid one.

Never_Quit

Reaction score
I thought that were was a "virus-like" function in Newgen somewhere because it mentioned it in the help documentations, that it injects code into World Editor or WC3 and because of that it's identified as a virus by most anti-virus programs.

The problem is that I have used this particular newgen for a long time, but out of the blue bitdefender finally decided it was a virus a few days ago and quarantined it! Fortunately I'll be able to rescue it and add it to the exceptions list...

I just find it really odd that this just randomly happened.

Probably got added to its virus list in a recent update or something.

LurkerAspect

Reaction score
Oh. Thanx for clearing that up guys, I just thought maybe the old version had finally decided to rebel and turn against me :D

Lol @ Tyman2007: "I'm talking to YOU norton!" couldn't agree more! :p

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.