WIP [ORPG] Besieged (Final Fantasy Based)

Dynamis

Reaction score
After playing several ORPGs on Battle.net over the years, I decided to create one of my own. To challenge myself, and those I work with, I decided to create mine with an MMO format, which is what I believe makes my ORPG unique.

bannernez.png

Unique Features:

-Lottery Boss Spawns
Explanation: Most ORPGs on Battle.net have set boss locations where they can always be found at all times. Mine takes a different approach. "World Bosses" have a small chance to spawn after a certain amount of time/kills within a Region. At which time, all players are notified with a warning. These bosses are -extremely- rare and -extremely- difficult, but if you manage to slay one of these legendary beasts, the rewards will be worthwhile! Are these bosses stationary? Of course not! They follow a patrol path covering the entire region they spawn in which is randomized each spawn.
Two of these bosses have been implemented.

-Instances
Currently, there is one instance implemented into Besieged, the Quicksand Caves. All instances will require teamwork and strategy. Each instance will have fully functioning patrols and a condition-based respawn system. Unlike other ORPG instances that just throw monsters at you with lots of HP, Besieged will throw many obstacles your way before you can defeat the final boss. (For example, in the Quicksand Caves, Quicksand traps to take you to the beginning or even, in most cases, out of the instance entirely if you chose the incorrect path.)

-Strategic Bosses
Tired of slapping a boss with a ton of HP/Armor to receive rewards? This type of boss encounter is completely nonexistent in Besieged. Each and every boss implemented into the game will require strategy and use of the area he/she is put in. For example: The Scarab Lord will spawn a swarm of Beetles every 20% of his Health that will have to be controlled by your tank, AOE'd down, and below 30% HP he enrages making him hit harder and faster. The enrage ability has a 30 second cooldown and must be dispelled by a Black Mage or Ranger.
(Currently four bosses have been implemented.)

-Classes
Currently Implemented:
Paladin, Bard, White Mage, Warrior, Black Mage(v0.10), and Dragoon.
Not Yet Implemented:
Ranger, Samurai, Red Mage, Monk, Dark Knight, and Ninja.
Possible Classes in Future Updates:
Blue Mage, Corsair (Will be fun to make!), Beast Master, and Thief.

The classes that are currently/not yet Implemented are -ALL- under development and will be making an appearance in future versions of Besieged. (Currently on version 0.06)

All classes ARE inspired from the lore of Final Fantasy, that is the purpose of my game, and will all have spell mechanics to match this fact.
Examples:
White Mage:
Cure I, Dia, Protectra/Shellra.
Warrior:
Provoke, Iron Tempest, Berserk, and Armor Break.
Paladin:
Provoke, Defender, Seraph Blade.
Dragoon: (My favorite will indeed include the following)
Jump, Summon Wyvern (Scales EACH level 1-75), Aimed Strikes.

All classes receive new spells at levels:

-Level cap of 75!

-Unique damage system!
Depending on what kind of a Weapon you use, your damage will vary.
One handed classes hit much faster, but with a much smaller damage range, while
Two handed classes hit much slower, but hit much harder with a much higher top-end.

One-handed classes skill damage is based on a factor of their attack power, while two-handed classes skill damage is based on the damage range of their weapon.

Some Two-Handed weapon skills hit multiple times to balance out the speed difference.

-Contested Towns!
In a typical ORPG, all towns are safe-havens for all players to rest in. In Besieged, however, this is not the case, with the exception of the starting town. All towns are besieged by the various beastmen races of Mystrai at varying time intervals. These onslaughts will not stop until one of two events has occurred. The first being the players of the game slay the Captain of the beastmen forces, removing their ability to call in reinforcements and therefore eliminating the siege, or the Keep of the town being assaulted is destroyed. In the case of the latter happening, the town will fall under beastmen control and will have to be retaken by Players.

This feature has been implemented for one of three major cities within Besieged.

-Each class -will- have a quest chain to obtain six pieces of their artifact armor at levels 54-60.

-All classes have custom skins made by my wife, Lyssa. Bridge Model and Dragoon from Thehiveworkshop.

-All Spells are Custom made through GUI and Jass, most of them are based off of attributes so they will scale throughout the entire game.

Other Generic Systems Currently Implemented:
-Item drops/Despawn (35(Up from 24!) Items Currently Added, Levels 1-30(Up from 21!), done.)
-Monster Spawn/Respawn (For Areas 1-30(Up from 20!), done.)
-Hero Selection/Respawn (Completely finished.)
-All items have class and level requirements, sorry Mr. White Mage, no Great Axe or Bow for you! =(
-Save/Load System
-Arena

Not Yet Implemented:
-Additional instances (Two(v0.10) completed, more needed for higher levels, mostly "End-Game.")
-Content for levels 30(Up from 21!)-75.
-Quest System (Beginnings of this have been added, but I haven't gone in and added a "plot" to them, yet.)

-No, I do not plan to implement systems such as the "virtual inventory" for more than 6 items to be used. Nor will I implement an item "attachment" feature. Both of these are unnecessary and generally make maps overly bulky.

-Besieged is intended for GROUP play.
It is possible to solo, but you will level at a much slower pace than if you were to team up with one or two friends. Some high-end bosses will require at least 5 people. (Depending on gear.)

Pictures:
Starting Area
Quicksand Caves (Instance)
Current Skins Implemented
Aztempi Desert
Drautfaise Meadows
Katsanth Jungle
Drautfaise Meadows 2

Currently looking for additional people who are skilled at triggering and don't mind assisting when asked.

Current Members of the Project:
Director/Terrainer: Dynamis
Co-Director/Graphic Artist: Lyssa
Triggering Assistant: TheTempest

My goal with this project is to give players an in-depth MMORPG experience through Warcraft 3. It is based off of Final Fantasy XI, with influences from other MMORPGs as well.

Please feel free to reply here with any comments or PM me if you are interested in assisting with this project.

Edited:
Reallocation of what has been implemented from the N.Y.I. section. Updated what is currently included.

Lyssa

Reaction score
Please give us some feedback to keep the project going! A testable version will be released soon! Currently on version 0.10, several new classes, balancing, and a new instance have all been added and are fully functional!

New Areas:

New Class (Black Mage)

Psiblade94122

In need of sleep
Reaction score
Unintresting, like you said, all the features implimented are generic

what diffrientiates this orpg from all the other orpgs out there? what would make me want to play this when there are a handfull of clones of the same damn thing? Theres nothing that pops out at the player (from your discriptions) and theres nothing keeping me from saying its just another ORpg.

This is my feedback, if you want something that would intrest players, there need to be something big that would make the map original instead of just a clone

Dynamis

Reaction score
Unintresting, like you said, all the features implimented are generic

what diffrientiates this orpg from all the other orpgs out there? what would make me want to play this when there are a handfull of clones of the same damn thing? Theres nothing that pops out at the player (from your discriptions) and theres nothing keeping me from saying its just another ORpg.

This is my feedback, if you want something that would intrest players, there need to be something big that would make the map original instead of just a clone

You did not fully read my post. Yes, my ORPG does include the basic generic systems of other maps. However, mine does include class specific quests to obtain your abilities and armor sets. My ORPG also features lottery spawn bosses to offer a unique challenge, no two boss encounters will occur in the same location or require the same strategy, they will each be different. (With the exception of instances.) Another thing, which ORPG has fully customized boss encounters other than a single mob with tons of armor & hp who stands there and tries to outlast you? All of the bosses in Besieged have all been scripted individually, with more than a lot of HP and Armor, they actually require strategy, as in they will spike your weakest player, or use other nasty abilities they have been given at critical times. Which ORPG has towns that are not always a "safe zone?" All of the larger towns in Besieged are always at risk, if undefended, as I stated earlier.

Fully read my post instead of only reading the generic section before you label the game.

A testable version will be made available soon.

Psiblade94122

In need of sleep
Reaction score
okay, tell me this

how is that anymore different then go hunt down monster for loot

or go do some redundant task for item/exp/gold and or lumber

the black road gets tramples on monsters running down a line of blight, so theres an example of a town under attack. lazy orpg makers dont even add town defenses so the towns isnt exactly a safe zone.

Lottery system is just a glamorous way of handling boss fights, itll still boil down to out last attack patterns with a healer on hand while dps tries to finish the fight.
Strategic Bosses is still just a matter of out lasting the spell, i mean really, using the example you put up there giving the Tanks a control ability just spiked your "Shoot at low hp" AI out of the game as the tanks will still controle the boss and whatever it spawns out.

instances are now pretty common on Wc3 Rpgs every other one has Instances screaming out on its features list, its common.

If your features where interesting to read i woudent be calling your game uninteresting =_= The game is running on the wc3 combat system (ooh 2 handed weapon has low attack speed but high damage. So what? You just add gloves of haste ability with a negative value and pump up the attack damage? Thats not interesting nor is it anything specal =_=)

You wana know what impression i get (as the only person who has commented on this thread other then you, this impression would be from my perspective) from reading your description? The map is a glorified WoW clone on Wc3, in other words its like any other Korean RPG because it lost its "I use the whole keyboard to bind 30+ skills items and string of commands to chip away at a bosses hp with 40+ people" and is stuck with "because of command buttons i have a max 7 abilities and 6 item slots (you are not using a custom inventory system <see Tkok for an example of a custom inventory system>) and have up to 12 players on my team.... whos levels are not even close to mine and i end up taking this game soloing anyways because of that... or power leveling.... (yes i know WoW was made in america, but you strip its enormous squads (giant parties) and the WASD and customizable interface (actually, RO had this labled under Battle mode, only problem was that you could only see 1/3rd of your buttons at one time) and your left with a point and click mass kill game... which is basically korean mmorpg. Therefore, from this being on wc3 and the fact that it IS going to be a mass kill (its orpg, what more can you do with that tried genre) and item hording game, its going to be like any other Kmmorpg which is basically what a generic Orpg is. Therefore this is Uninteresting.

Your descriptions are also hard to read, i suggest adding colors to help organize peoples thoughts as they read as people react better to multiple colors in headings then a single color (black) on another color (in this case light blue). Would also keep my interest past the first few lines.

let me ask you again.... What makes this map different from others. What would make me want to play your map as opposed to the plethora of Orpgs out there on b.net?

Dynamis

Reaction score
or go do some redundant task for item/exp/gold and or lumber
^----- Gold/Lumber play a minimal role in Besieged.

the black road gets tramples on monsters running down a line of blight, so theres an example of a town under attack. lazy orpg makers dont even add town defenses so the towns isnt exactly a safe zone.
^----- Yes, there are defenses that scale, as do the monsters attacking the town.

Lottery system is just a glamorous way of handling boss fights, itll still boil down to out last attack patterns with a healer on hand while dps tries to finish the fight.
Strategic Bosses is still just a matter of out lasting the spell, i mean really, using the example you put up there giving the Tanks a control ability just spiked your "Shoot at low hp" AI out of the game as the tanks will still controle the boss and whatever it spawns out."because of command buttons i have a max 7 abilities and 6 item slots (you are not using a custom inventory system <see Tkok for an example of a custom inventory system>)

^---- Bosses won't attack the lowest HP player, they will occasionally get nailed with a spell. Also, there is no 'snap aggro' ability, the tank has to work for it. =) I am not limited to 7 abilities, spellbooks are a wonderful thing once you learn to use them properly! At level 20, each class has over 8 spells (Out of a max level of 75 levels) and there are over 18 classes in development.

(ooh 2 handed weapon has low attack speed but high damage. So what? You just add gloves of haste ability with a negative value and pump up the attack damage? Thats not interesting nor is it anything specal =_=)
^---- Oooh! You are uninformed! There is no gloves of haste ability (with either value). The actual attack speed and damage range of the unit has been scaled accordingly.

Also, lol, I stated there would be -NO- custom inventory system, amongst other things.

If you would actually read my posts and educate yourself, you really would have a more valid point.

Once the test version has been completed, and the room for uninformed assumptions has been removed, please feel free to critique the game!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.