UK News Police arrest so they can boost DNA database, warns watchdog

Wiseman_2

Missy wants blood!
Reaction score
Police are arresting people just so they can take their DNA and boost numbers on the national database, the Government's own watchdog has warned.

Officers will arrest individuals for "everything" because they then have the power to take DNA samples, even if they wouldn't have been detained under other circumstances.

The Human Genetics Commission (HGC) warned the alarming practice, which was revealed by a retired senior police officer, was creating a "spiral of suspicion" over the DNA database.

In a major review of the system, it said police should no longer be allowed to automatically take DNA samples for everyone they arrest and called for new rules on when it was right to do so.
It suggested the growth in the programme, which is the largest of its kind in the world, stemmed from a pledge in 2000 by Tony Blair, the then Prime Minister, to have the DNA of every criminal within three years.

------------
Well, I'll be damned if they think they can have my DNA.

Last edited by a moderator:

LearningCode

Reaction score
They be using this DNA for more than identification of criminals.

It's a conspicary!!
They're sending the blood to Bulgaria so that the space research team can offer it to the aliens.

Hatebreeder

So many apples
Reaction score
Just what are these people thinking?

It's so obvious that this is for control only. I mean, why do they want DNA from criminals? And even normal citizens?

This is ridiculous. Seriously.

Jackal

You can change this now in User CP... or Die Tryin
Reaction score
I mean, why do they want DNA from criminals?

Crimewatch has reported of the police finding matching DNA from an unidentified murderer with a rapist they had just added to the database.

It'd probably be better if everyone was on the DNA database, although I can see why some people desire genetic privacy over catching criminals, although thats not my opinion.

Wiseman_2

Missy wants blood!
Reaction score
Keeping the DNA of criminals is fine by me, but keeping the DNA of the average Joe for offenses as petty as dropping a sandwich wrapper is something which no-one in their right mind could concieve as justified.

T.s.e

Wish I was old and a little sentimental
Reaction score
its-a-conspiracy.jpg

Wiseman_2

Missy wants blood!
Reaction score
It's not really a conspiracy because the government is being quite open about its plans for a gigantic database. There will be some sort of conspiracy at work if Labour gets another term in the next election though.

See. People in the US often complain about their government and their rights and all that crap, but quite frankly they don't know how good they've got it. There's no kind of charter in the UK which protects the people from its government.

Pineapple

Just Smile.
Reaction score
If they took DNA from every baby born, in a century everyone alive would be on the database.

The only reason you would be agianst it is if you plan on breaking the law. :p Really, your not special. There is no motive for having DNA other tan criminals, they wont clone you. :nuts:

Wiseman_2

Missy wants blood!
Reaction score
The only reason you would be agianst it is if you plan on breaking the law.
And what if it became necessary to break the law to ensure the continued freedoms of the people? In the US for example, I am pretty sure it's against the law to murder, but I'm also pretty sure that somewhere in that constitution thingamajig they have the right to replace their government if necessary (I can't remember the exact wording), and if that meant killing to do so then I'm pretty sure many would do it.
Maybe I'm just paranoid, but the implications of it are not something I am comfortable with.
Something else on what is the most authoritarian DNA retention system in the world: http://press.mu.no2id.net/2009-11/dna-retention-still-most-authoritarian-in-the-world/
Just think, for one second, how you would feel if your government had a file on you, that any government stooge (or anyone with the will to do a bit of amateur hacking) could view, and find out not only where you live and what you do for a living, but concievably know what you bought from the store the other day, what car you own and your income.
Do you know already what the new term is in the UK for a legitimate protester? A "Domestic Extremist".
Please, do not try and tell me what my government is doing is right. Because it is not, and it will - it must - change someday.

DM Cross

You want to see a magic trick?
Reaction score
Wouldn't be surprised if, in a few decades, your DNA goes on record when you're born. No one will ever be able to hide from any government because everything will be on record.

Then they start branding everyone with bar codes.

Visions of the future... From Seth Cross :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.